Smalltalk Digest: April Edition
- Product Upgrade — Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.6.1 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.0.1 Now Available to Cincom Smalltalk Customers and Partners!
- Product Availability — The Current Personal Use License Versions are Cincom ObjectStudio 8.6 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.0
- Meeting the Demand Challenge — Cincom Smalltalk’s Answer to the Web App Development Demand
- A Shared Cornerstone — The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation
- New and Improved Capabilities — Cincom Smalltalk Foundation Series: Text 2
- Helpful Technical Information — Map/Reduce, Hadoop and Cincom Smalltalk
- Simple, Convenient Text Creation — A Transcript Alternative
- Performance Considerations — Concurrency and Leveraging Multi-Core PCs: The Solution? MatriX
- Task Simplification — Are You Looking to Boost Application Performance?
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
- Product Update — Major Update of Roassal
News and Upcoming Events
- April 25-26, 2015 — CampSmalltalk Spring Edition (Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada)
“Techie-Social” Weekend – Spring Edition of CampSmalltalk Comes to Vancouver Island
- June 12-14, 2015 — Camp Smalltalk Ottawa (Ottawa, Canada)
Canadian Conference – Camp Smalltalk Ottawa Announced
- July 15, 2015 — International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (IWST15) (Brescia, Italy)
Workshop Scheduled – International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (IWST15) Call for Papers
- July 13-17, 2015 — The 23rd International Smalltalk Joint Conference (Brescia, Italy)
Call for Contributions – The 23rd International Smalltalk Joint Conference
Also, please note that registration for the conference is now open, and it’s the last call for those who would like to be a student volunteer.
- ESUG 2015 Early registration ends on Monday, June 1.
- The 2016 Canadian Smalltalk Competition
Promoting Smalltalk While Providing Education Opportunities – The 2016 Canadian Smalltalk Competition
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- A Journey into Smalltalk — Introducing … the Smalltalk Reflections Podcast
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- New Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Focusing on the User — Introducing a Revamped User Portal
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
It is our pleasure to bring you the current version of Cincom Smalltalk. This release includes the maintenance releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.6.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.0.1. You can request media or an ftp transfer of the product. For other options, please speak with your account manager. Current customers and partners can request the maintenance release by clicking here.
The Personal Use License versions of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks are available! Click here to find out what’s included in this release, and how to try it for yourself.
With web development moving so quickly, businesses are forced to deal with challenges never before seen. Cincom Smalltalk addresses these challenges by simplifying the development process for its users, maintaining the flexibility and scalability that these new technologies require and providing new tools to enhance a developer’s ability to develop rich-behavior web applications. Click here to read more about how Cincom is addressing these challenges.
The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation is the shared virtual machine and object libraries shared by the Cincom Smalltalk products. For more information, please watch Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager Arden Thomas’ latest presentation from the 2014 Smalltalk Industry Conference here.
The underlying text handling of the entire Cincom Smalltalk Foundation has been re-written in both Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks from the ground up. It has been integrated in order to handle modern and future needs. Click here for more information.
In this technical article, Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, tells us how Map/Reduce and Hadoop work with Smalltalk, including simple examples. Click here for Arden’s article.
Have you ever wished for a simple, convenient solution when it comes to finding a place where you can write and review text—other than the Transcript? A solution that’s much simpler than creating an application interface to write to? Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, has written an article that presents a practical alternative to the Transcript. Click here for Arden’s explanation.
For a while now, companies have been using concurrency in their development. But going all-out into concurrency is difficult. We have a solution to that problem: MatriX. Click here to read about some of the problems involved in concurrency, click here to read about the solution to the currency dilemma: MatriX, click here to access the video, “Getting More from Your Multi-Core with MatriX,” and click here for an answer to “How Can We Get the Most Out of Our Modern CPUs?”
Interested in learning an alternative for getting the most out of your PC? Click here to try it, and see how you can use MatriX to leverage the most from your multi-core PCs.
The Cincom Smalltalk team strives to deliver tools to simplify daily tasks for application developers. The complexity of concurrency can sometimes cause difficulties. However, we’re happy to tell you about a powerful solution to your concurrency issues. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Alexandre Bergel and the Object Profile Team are happy to announce an update of Roassal on Cincom VisualWorks. Roassal is a visualization engine that’s made to visualize pretty much anything. To learn more about the update, click here.
Recently a blog article referenced a paper that discusses the fact that although there are some very productive specialized items available, Smalltalk comes out on top for general-purpose programming languages. Click here to read more about it.
The spring edition of CampSmalltalk will take place at Makerspace Nanaimo on on beautiful Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada on April 25 and 26. This is a great opportunity to participate in Smalltalk projects as well as to just chat and meet old and new friends. Click here for more information.
If you enjoy Smalltalk programming, or if you’re interested in promoting Smalltalk, come to Canada’s capital, Ottawa, on June 12-14 for Camp Smalltalk Ottawa 2015. Click here to find out more about Camp Smalltalk Ottawa 2015.
The International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (IWST15) will take place in Brescia, Italy on July 15, 2015, and conference organizers are seeking participants. Click here for more information.
The 23rd International Smalltalk Joint Conference will be held in Brescia, Italy on July 13-17, 2015, and conference organizers are issuing a call for contributions in several areas. Click here to find out more about the conference. Also please note that registration for the conference is now open, and it’s the last call for those who would like to be a student volunteer.
As part of a campaign to promote the Smalltalk programming language, Smalltalk Renaissance wants to conduct a Canada-wide software competition that’s open to all secondary school students. Find out more about it by clicking here.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
In the new Smalltalk Reflections podcast, David Buck and Craig Latta will guide you through the world of Smalltalk covering topics from basic object-oriented principles to software testing, version control and deployment techniques and much more. Click here for more information.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
We’re happy to announce a new feature of the Cincom Smalltalk website: the Contributed Components Directory. Here you can find all of the contributed components that are available with our current product offerings. Click here for more information on other components.
To the Cincom Smalltalk Team, there’s nothing more important than serving the needs of its users. Complete customer satisfaction is something that we continuously strive for. As part of that effort, we’re happy to introduce a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s dedicated solely to supplying pertinent, important data and helpful links to users. Click here to check it out.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.