Our ProductsCincom is a leading provider of commercial Smalltalk. Cincom Smalltalk adds value and simplicity to application development software, web application development tools and deployment environments. ObjectStudio is an ideal solution for developing custom applications for Windows® while VisualWorks is the ideal solution for enterprise-level, multilingual, cross-platform, custom application development.
Both ObjectStudio and VisualWorks share the same core libraries and foundation. This means foundation improvements improve both products.
Introducing Cincom Smalltalk Version 9.0We are proud to introduce to you, Cincom Smalltalk Version 9.0. The first thing to note with our version 9.0 release for ObjectStudio and VisualWorks, is that it is an evolutionary release, and is not disruptive, as a major number increment might suggest.
Version 9.0 begins our path to move the products closer together, with the goal of a future single product and the intent to offer the best of both for our customers. This would allow, for example, VisualWorks users to use the native windows widgets and the modeling and mapping tools of ObjectStudio and would give ObjectStudio users the potential to move applications cross-platform.
Version 9.0 continues to improve and enhance infrastructure, such as in GUI and TLS/Security areas, to allow continued future improvements while keeping API capability.
The types of changes made to the products fall into a few categories:
- Required changes – Operating system changes, OS API changes, OS compiler changes, Modern TLS and Security standards
- Customer needs and requirements – Customer feedback may indicate a new feature or product improvement that’s beneficial to many customers.
- Infrastructure work – Enhancing current infrastructure to support new features
- New features
What’s in This Release?A few foundation (common product base) improvements for Version 9.0 include:
- New TLS plugin for supporting advanced encryption (external)
- OpenSSL 1.1 supported
- PostgreSQL3 enhancements
- GLORP recursive query support on SQLServer
- Store atomic loading enhancements
- Store naming and file enhancements
- MySQL support for Store
- Enhanced Opentalk in preview
- Platform updates
- New Data Visualization framework for ObjectStudio NGUI
- ObjectStudio OLE via COMConnect
- GUI infrastructure work for VisualWorks and tools
- Preview parcel UISkinning-Skins-Classic option for those porting VisualWorks interfaces
- HTTP/2 support
- New DITA-based help system
Cincom Smalltalk is used for:
- Client, Client/Server, Web Browser, Web Server and distributed applications
- Consistent or on-going and productive application development
- Application development with less maintenance and few problems
- Platform portability and flexibility in application development
- Business Process Analysis and Management
- Citizen development
- Academia – The best solution to teach Object-Oriented development and principles, as well as student-created applications