Cincom Smalltalk Suite of ProductsCincom is a leading provider of commercial Smalltalk. Cincom Smalltalk adds value and simplicity to application development software, web application development tools and deployment environments. Cincom® ObjectStudio® is an ideal solution for developing custom applications for Windows® while Cincom® VisualWorks® is the ideal solution for enterprise-level, multilingual, cross-platform, custom application development. Both ObjectStudio and VisualWorks share the same core libraries and the Cincom Smalltalk Foundation. This means foundation improvements improve both products.
Introducing Cincom Smalltalk Version 9.3We are proud to introduce to you, Cincom Smalltalk Version 9.3. Version 9.x began our path to move the products closer together, with the goal of a future single product and the intent to offer the best of both for our customers. This would allow, for example, VisualWorks users to use the native windows widgets and the modeling and mapping tools of ObjectStudio and would give ObjectStudio users the potential to move applications cross-platform. Version 9.x continues to improve and enhance infrastructures, such as in GUI and TLS/Security areas, to allow continued future improvements while keeping API capability. The types of changes made to the products fall into a few categories:
- Required changes – Operating system changes, OS API changes, OS compiler changes, Modern TLS and Security standards
- Customer needs and requirements – Customer feedback may indicate a new feature or product improvement that’s beneficial to many customers.
- Infrastructure work – Enhancing current infrastructure to support new features
- New features
What’s in This Release?The current releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 9.3 and Cincom VisualWorks 9.3 are major releases and contain fixes and improvements to the last major releases. Recent major releases include:
Cincom Smalltalk Foundation 9.3New Tabbing System for Tools
- Organize and simplify your development windows.
- Add, re-order and close tabs with one click.
- Drag to new window or another window.
- Works much like Web Browser tabs.
- Use the tab enhancements for your applications.
- Including online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP)
Cincom ObjectStudio 9.3New! Next Gen UI Designer Preview Next Generation User Interface
- Latest features of Windows native widgets
- No primitives
- All Smalltalk using FFI (DLLCC) -> Windows API
- Support for jpg, png, gif and tif
- Access to GDI+ features including gradient brushes and alpha blending
- Uses Next Generation User Interface.
- Central, convenient access to frequently used items like favorite packages and bundles, loaded controllers, open windows and breakpoints
- Native rendering combined with customizable widgets
- Native rendering on Windows and MacOS
- Allows custom looks to be created by developer.
- Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix
- See the available platforms listed.
Cincom Smalltalk is used for:
- Client, Client/Server, Web Browser, Web Server and distributed applications
- Consistent or on-going and productive application development
- Application development with less maintenance and few problems
- Platform portability and flexibility in application development
- Business Process Analysis and Management
- Citizen development
- Academia – The best solution to teach Object-Oriented development and principles, as well as student-created applications