Smalltalk Digest: February Edition
Let Us Help You Succeed
Check It Out!
- Helping to Plan the Future — Product Manager Mini-Survey
- New Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos to Be Launched
- Conference Announcement — European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) Conference Date and Location Announced
- Exposure in Germany — Cincom Smalltalk Premier Partner, Georg Heeg, Continues to Promote Cincom and Cincom Smalltalk in Europe!
- Valuable Educational Tool — Smalltalk Plays an Important Part in University’s Curriculum
- New Cincom® ObjectStudio® Release — Cincom ObjectStudio 8.5 Now Available!
- New Cincom® VisualWorks® Release — Cincom VisualWorks 7.10 Now Available!
- Performance Considerations — Concurrency and Leveraging Multi-Core PCs — The Solution? MatriX
- Task Simplification — Are You Looking to Boost Application Performance?
- A Shared Cornerstone — The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Focusing on the Customer — New Cincom Smalltalk Customer Portal
- Watch It! — Cincom Smalltalk Videos and Our Presence on YouTube
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
Smalltalk News Repositories
- August 16-17, 2014 — Camp Smalltalk, Cambridge, England
- August 18-22, 2014 — European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) Conference, Cambridge, England
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
- Visit the Smalltalk Jobs Blog
- Cincom Smalltalk Team Seeks Cincom VisualWorks Senior Software Engineer
Cincom is seeing increased interest for Cincom Smalltalk and with that increased interest comes more requirements for enhancing, improving and advancing Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks. Our Cincom Smalltalk engineers are very busy keeping pace with our existing partners, and just as we need to enhance our products, we need to enhance our product team. Why not join an exciting, growing team that’s making innovative strides at an astonishing pace? If you’re interested in applying for a position as a Cincom Smalltalk engineer for Cincom’s North American Smalltalk Development Team, please click here for a job description or to apply.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its partners, customers and Cincom Smalltalk users to assist in helping to market their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
We realize that when our clients and partners succeed, we succeed. So, Arden Thomas, the Product Manager for Cincom Smalltalk, puts a lot of time and effort into listening to the needs of our customers, partners and prospects. This month’s survey asks questions regarding GUI testing tools for Smalltalk applications. Click here for more information and to access the survey.
Over the upcoming months, the Cincom Smalltalk Team will be launching a series of several new tutorials. The series centers around “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
The ESUG board is happy to announce that the 22nd ESUG conference will be held in Cambridge, England on August 18-22, 2014. Click here for additional information.
Our Cincom Smalltalk Premier Partner in Europe, Georg Heeg of Georg Heeg eK, is doing an incredible job of eloquently promoting Smalltalk in Germany as well as his company’s success with Cincom and Cincom Smalltalk. In fact, Georg, Cincom and Smalltalk were recently featured in a German newspaper article. Click here for an explanation and the translated article text.
Associate Professor of the Technical University of Catalonia’s Software Department, Jordi Delgado, teaches a course called “Advanced Programming Concepts,” and finds Smalltalk to be “the perfect tool” for teaching the course. Click here to learn more.
Cincom ObjectStudio 8.5 is now available with notable feature changes that make it better than ever! Click here to find out the latest improvements for this outstanding product.
Cincom VisualWorks 7.10 has been released, and the product includes many new feature changes that you’ll definitely want to know about. Click here to read more about the new release.
For a while now, companies have been using concurrency in their development. But going all-out into concurrency is difficult. We have a solution to that problem: MatriX. Click here to read about some of the problems involved in concurrency, click here to read about the solution to the currency dilemma: MatriX, click here to access the video, “Getting More from Your Multi-Core with MatriX,” and click here for an answer to “How Can We Get the Most Out of Our Modern CPUs?”
Interested in learning an alternative for getting the most out of your PC? Click here to try it, and see how you can use MatriX to leverage the most from your multi-core PCs.
The Cincom Smalltalk team strives to deliver tools to simplify daily tasks for application developers. The complexity of concurrency can sometimes cause difficulties. However, we’re happy to tell you about a powerful solution to your concurrency issues. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation is the shared virtual machine and object libraries shared by the Cincom Smalltalk products. For more information, please watch Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas’, latest presentation from the 2013 Smalltalk Industry Conference here.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
There’s nothing more important to the Cincom Smalltalk team than its customers. Therefore, we now have a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s devoted solely to making available information that may be useful to our valued customers. Click here to check it out.
There are a wide variety of places where you’ll find Cincom Smalltalk and STIC on the web. You can find Cincom Smalltalk videos by clicking here. Also, Cincom Smalltalk and the Smalltalk Industry Council have their very own YouTube pages. To check out the Cincom Smalltalk YouTube page, click here. To view the STIC YouTube page, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
Camp Smalltalk will take place in Cambridge, England on August 16-17, in conjunction with the European Smalltalk User Conference. For more information, click here.
The European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) Conference will take place in Cambridge, England on August 18-22. For more information, click here.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer, James Savidge, keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks senior software engineer for its North American Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.