Smalltalk Digest: August Edition
#ESUG16 Is Next Week!
Don’t miss one of the most anticipated Smalltalk events, the 24th European Smalltalk User Group Conference (#ESUG16), which will take place in Prague, Czechia on August 22-26, 2016.
- Arden Thomas – #ESUG16: Cincom Smalltalk Roadmap 2016 | Monday, August 22, 11:00 to 11:45 a.m.
- Arden Thomas – #ESUG16: Hidden Gems in Cincom Smalltalk | Monday, August 22, 2:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Andreas Hiltner – #ESUG16: New Native Windows UI Possibilities in Next Generation Cincom® ObjectStudio® | Tuesday, August 23, 9:45 to 10:30 a.m.
- Jerry Kott – #ESUG16: Cincom Smalltalk Protocols – New Features and Tools | Wednesday, August 24, 12:00 to 12:30 p.m.
- Andreas Hiltner – #ESUG16: Development and Features of the New Cincom ObjectStudio Launcher | Wednesday, August 24, 3:30 to 4:00 p.m.
- Niall Ross – #ESUG16: More XP-rience | Thursday, August 25, 4:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Jerry Kott – #ESUG16: Rapid Application Development with AppeX and Google Chrome Developer Tools | Friday, August 26, 10:00 to 10:30 a.m.
In addition to the team member presentations above, a few Cincom Smalltalk partners will be speaking as well:
- Dr. Alexandre Bergel – #ESUG16: The Roassal Visualization Engine (Partner Talk) | Wednesday, August 24, 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Georg Heeg – #ESUG16: Controlling Machines with Smalltalk on Raspberry PI (Partner Talk) | Thursday, August 25, 2:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Georg Heeg – #ESUG16: seamless – Object Oriented CMS System (Partner Talk) | Thursday, August 25, 4:30 to 5:00 p.m.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Latest News and Updates
- Product Releases — Personal Use License (PUL) Versions of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom® VisualWorks® Available
- Accommodating Our Developers and Customers— Availability of Seaside with Upcoming Cincom Smalltalk Releases
- Changing Times — Welcome to the Wonderful World of Citizen Development
- Making Something Good Even Better — How Raspberry Pi, a Windows Phone and Cincom Smalltalk Worked to Improve a German Exhibit
- Exploring the Motivation — Rapid Web Application Development with AppeX and the Chrome Development Tools
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- New Version Released — Version 1.4 of the PDF Library PDF4Smalltalk Released to the Public Store (with MIT License)
- JSON Support — How to Use ODBCEXDI to Handle JSON Data in Cincom VisualWorks
- Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- Good Question, Thorough Answer — Q&A Regarding Visual Wave Migration
- August 21, 2016 — Camp Smalltalk (Prague, Czechia)
- August 22-26, 2016 — The 24th International Smalltalk Joint Conference (#ESUG16) (Prague, Czechia)
- August 23, 2016 — IWST16 — International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (Prague, Czechia)
- August 29 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- September 12, 2016 — Toronto Smalltalk User Group (Toronto, Canada)
- September 26 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- October 30-November 4, 2016 — SPLASH 2016 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- October 31, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- November 28, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- December 26, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- February 8-10, 2017 — 18th Annual Privacy & Security Conference (Victoria, British Columbia)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
We are pleased to announce that the Personal Use License (PUL) versions of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks are now available! This release includes the maintenance releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1. For more information about these new releases, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk engineering team has completed the porting, integration and packaging work so that Seaside 3.2.0 can be used with the upcoming releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.8 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.2, as well as our prior major releases of VisualWorks 8.1 and ObjectStudio 8.7. Click here for additional information.
Due to a number of reasons including decreased budgets and time constraints, citizen developers are becoming more and more prevalent at a steady pace, and the Cincom Smalltalk team is definitely on top of this trend. Click here for more information on this topic including links to a couple of very interesting articles.
Adventure World German Language, a museum-quality exhibit that showcases the extensive history of the German language, went through a significant expansion in 2015, with all of the programming being done using Cincom VisualWorks. After it was decided that a good exhibit could be made even better, Cincom VisualWorks once again is the tool of choice. Click here for more information.
This two-part article serves as both an introduction to AppeX’s “JSFile” framework, which will be available in VW8.2, as well as an exploration of the motivation behind the JSFile framework. Click here for part 1, “Motivation for the AppeX JSFile Externalization Framework” and click here for part 2,”Using JSFiles in Conjunction with the Chrome Development Tools.”
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
Christian Haider of Smalltalked Visuals GmbH tells us that version 1.4 of the PDF library PDF4Smalltalk has been released to the public store (with MIT license). The library now supports Smalltalk images (pictures) to be inserted into PDFs. For additional information, click here.
JSON data type support has been popular in the last few years since it provides greater flexibility for users. In this article, we will demonstrate how to use ODBCEXDI to handle JSON data in VisualWorks. Click here for the article.
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. Click here to see how Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, intends to uncover those “hidden gems.” Click here to access the new Hidden Gems video, which discusses “Store”.
A Cincom Smalltalk customer recently asked a very pertinent question regarding the migration from Visual Wave in Cincom VisualWorks 7.* to VisualWorks 8.1, and members of our Cincom Smalltalk engineering team were more than happy to provide a detailed response. Click here for this Q&A.
Camp Smalltalk will be held in Prague, Czechia on August 21, just prior to the ESUG 2016 Conference. Click here for more information.
The 24th International Smalltalk Joint Conference (ESUG 2016) will take place in Prague, Czechia on August 22-26, 2016. For additional information, click here.
IWST16 (the International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies) will take place in Prague, Czechia on August 23, 2016. For more information, click here.
SPLASH 2016 will be held at the Mövenpick Hotel, Amsterdam City Centre in Amsterdam, The Netherlands on October 30 through November 4, 2016. Click here for more information, including details on submitting contributions to this important conference.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
Looking for a particular contributed component? Find all that are available with our current product offerings here.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.