Smalltalk Digest: August Edition
Cincomers to Speak at the 25th Annual European Smalltalk User Group Conference
The 25th Annual European Smalltalk User Group Conference will be held in Maribor, Slovenia on September 4-8, 2017. This event brings many Smalltalkers together from around the world. For example, here’s your chance to meet Georg Heeg, one of Cincom’s valued partners whose company just celebrated its 30th Anniversary. Suzanne Fortman, the Director of Smalltalk Global Operations at Cincom, will be attending and available to meet with customers, partners and prospective Cincom Smalltalk™ users.
As a sponsor of #ESUG17, there will also be other members of the Cincom Smalltalk team presenting and available to talk about our products and product direction. You won’t want to miss these exciting talks from our Cincom Smalltalk team members:
- Arden Thomas – Cincom Smalltalk Roadmap
In addition, there are some other interesting talks about Cincom Smalltalk applications:
- Bob Nemec – Seaside-Based Custom ERP System
- Christian Haider – PDFtalk
For travel, venue and other event information about #ESUG17, click here.
Other News and Updates
- **NEW**Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- **UPDATED** The Tradition Continues — Make Plans Now for Smalltalks 2017
- Providing a Stable Core — Cincom Smalltalk™ Helps Digital Design Solutions LLC Optimize Auditorium Design System
- Students Tackle a Challenge — Student-Created Application Provides an Adaptable and Flexible Programming Environment for the Visually Impaired
- Significant Milestone — Georg Heeg eK Celebrates 30th Anniversary!
- Results Are In — Smalltalk Loved by Many on the 2017 Stack Overflow Survey!
- August 21, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- September 3, 2017 — Camp Smalltalk (Maribor, Slovenia)
- September 4-8, 2017 — 2017 European Smalltalk User Group Conference (Maribor, Slovenia)
- September 25, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- October 22-27 — 2017 ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity – SPLASH (Vancouver, CA)
- October 30, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- November 8-10, 2017 — Smalltalks 2017 (La Plata, Argentina)
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community —
Cincom Smalltalk™ Community Blogs
Benefit Highlights and Resources
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. This month’s edition is on the “ChangeList”.
Click here to see other Hidden Gems by Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas.
Continuing with a great tradition, FAST is organizing Smalltalks—the free conference on Smalltalk-based technologies, research and industry applications. This year Smalltalks 2017 will be held on November 8-10 at Universidad Nacional de La Plata, in La Plata, Argentina. For more information on ways that you can contribute to this event, click here.
- UPDATE: For information on registration, accommodations and how you can support FAST, click here.
Digital Design Solutions LLC provides digital design solutions to a wide range of design professionals. They recently used the capabilities of Cincom Smalltalk to help them achieve the challenge of developing a robust and non-contradictory optimization system that optimizes the acoustical, visual and programmatic parameters while displaying 3D components in 2D. Click here for the complete user story.
At Universidad Nacional de Quilmes in Buenos Aires, Argentina, two students, along with the backing of their professors, elected to tackle a challenge that was affecting their visually impaired classmates: integrating screen readers with Smalltalk. Click here to read this interesting story.
We are especially excited to report that Georg Heeg eK, our valued and admired partner in Germany, celebrated their 30th anniversary. Click here to find out what the company did to celebrate as well as the special relationship between George Heeg eK and Cincom.
Two years ago, Arden Thomas pointed out that Smalltalk was non-existent in the Stack Overflow survey published each year. The Cincom Smalltalk STAR Team created an initiative to make the Smalltalk community aware of the survey so that their voices could be heard. Last year the survey closed quickly, but we got a foot in the door with Smalltalk mentioned. This year, thanks to the quick reaction of the Smalltalk community, Smalltalk developers had the full opportunity to participate. As a result, Smalltalk came in at #2 in the Most Loved Software Languages category! Great job everyone! To see more survey results, click here.
— Cincom Smalltalk (@cincomsmalltalk) March 23, 2017
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
Looking for a particular contributed component? Find all that are available with our current product offerings here.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- System Browser Overview
- Core Browser Usage
- Inspector Tool
- Debugger Overview
- Debugger Usage
- Version Control
- Process Monitor
- Code Recovery
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of tutorials for introducing our products.
- Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction
- Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher
- Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One
- Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction
- Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two
- Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview
- Setting Up Your Environment
Are you bored with the same old daily grind? Maybe your current position doesn’t present a challenge or an opportunity to show off your wide range of skills, abilities and full potential. Maybe it’s time to think about moving on to something different—something more exciting and challenging. Cincom Smalltalk is growing and improving by leaps and bounds, and you just might be a perfect fit for this team of innovative professionals. There’s no better time than the present to check it out! For more information about the positions we are currently looking to fill, or to discuss how you might contribute to our growing team, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.