ESUG 20th International Smalltalk Joint Conference Call for Contributions
For the past 20 years, the European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) has organized the International Smalltalk Conference—a lively forum on cutting-edge software technologies that attracts people from both academia and industry. Attendees include engineers using Smalltalk in business and students and teachers using Smalltalk both for research and didactic purposes.
This year’s conference will be held in Gent, Belgiumon August 27-31, withCampSmalltalkpreceding it on August 25-26.
This year’s edition of the largest European Smalltalk event will include:
- The regular Smalltalk developers conference with world-renowned speakers
- A Smalltalk camp that has proven to be fruitful for meaningful interactions and lively discussions (August 25-26)
- The 9th edition of the Innovation Technology Awards where prizes will be awarded to authors of those Smalltalk-related projects that are deemed to be “the best”
- IWST: an international workshop on Smalltalk and dynamic languages
Conference organizers are asking for contributors to the event, regarding the following areas:
- Developers Forum – This year conference organizers are looking for YOUR experience on using Smalltalk as well as tutorials. The list of topics includes, but is not limited to the following:
- XP practices
- Development tools
- Experience reports
- Model-driven development
- Web development
- Team management
- New libraries and frameworks
- Educational material
- Embedded systems and robotics
- SOA and Web services
- Interaction with other programming languages
Submissions are due on June 15, 2012, and notification of acceptance will be on June 25, 2012.
How to Submit
Positions are limited, so don’t wait until the last minute to apply. Prospective presenters should submit a request to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com following the template below. Please use this template since the e-mails will be processed automatically!
Subject: [ESUG 2012 Developers] + your name
E-mail address where you can always be reached:
Abstract: (max 1,400 characters)
Bio: (max 1,400 characters)
Any submission not adhering to this form will automatically be discarded.
- Innovation Technology Awards — Conference organizers are proud to announce the 9th Innovation Technology Awards. The top three teams with the most innovative software will receive, respectively, 500 Euros, 300 Euros and 200 Euros during an awards ceremony at the conference. Developers of any Smalltalk-based software are welcome to compete. This year we will request three- to five-minute videos.
For more information, visit http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2012/Innovation-Technology-Awards.
- International Workshop (IWST 2012) – International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies, August 28. The goals of the workshop are to create a forum around advances or experiences in Smalltalk and to trigger discussions and exchanges of ideas. Participants are invited to submit research articles. Conference organizers will not enforce any length restriction, however, they expect papers of two types:
- Short position papers describing emerging ideas.
- Long research papers with a deeper description of experiments and research results.
They will welcome research papers on all aspects—theoretical as well as practical—of Smalltalk-related topics. All accepted papers will be published in ACM DL, and the authors of the best papers will be invited to submit an extended version to a journal’s special issue (to be confirmed).
The submission deadline is June 15, 2012, and the notification of acceptance will be on July 15, 2012.
Fore more information, visit http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2012/International-Workshop—IWST-2012.
- Student Volunteer Program – If you are a student wanting to attend ESUG, have you considered being a student volunteer? Student volunteers help keep the conference running smoothly, and in return, they have free accommodations, while still having most of the time available to enjoy the conference.
For more information on being a Student Volunteer, visit http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2012/StudentVolunteers.
- Free ESUG Tickets Program – ESUG will offer 10 free entrance tickets. To get a free ticket, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line including: [ESUG 2012 Free entrance] + your name. Also, you should write a small motivational paragraph explaining why you’re requesting the free ticket.
You can support the ESUG conference in many different ways, including:
- Sponsor the conference. New sponsoring packages are described at http://www.esug.org/About/SupportESUG.
- Submit a talk, software or a paper to one of the events. See Above.
- Attend the conference. Conference organizers would like to beat the previous attendance record, which was 170 people at Amsterdam.
- Students can get free registration and hosting if they enroll in the Student Volunteers program. See above.
For more information, please visit http://esug.org/Conferences/2012.
We hope to see you there!