With an open ear to our customers and the Smalltalk community, as well as our own engineering and support staff, we continue to make changes to our software. These changes have been designed for two reasons: (1) to benefit our customers and (2) to benefit Smalltalk by keeping it vital and competitive. With these benefits in mind, the changes we have implemented have included:
- New Features
- Refinement / Enhancements / Updates
- Foundational (Prerequisites for Future Work)
- Removing unused, obsolete and broken code
- Refactoring /restructuring old code /subsystems / frameworks
- Disruptive / non-disruptive
To see the presentation of the latest Roadmap, click here.
We are moving to having an annual major release of each product, along with maintenance releases or service-pack online updates, at regular intervals in between.
- Why: Customers requested a true maintenance update that represents refinements and fixes to the major release, and does not include significant new features and functionality, which could represent more work for porting and production application certification.
- We heard you: Our Fall Cincom Smalltalk Release is a full release as requested by Cincom Smalltalk customers.
Cincom Smalltalk Foundation
It is our pleasure to bring you the current version of Cincom Smalltalk. This release includes the full releases of Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.8 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.2. Cincom continues to provide high value and low cost with a rapid return on investment at low risk. Cincom Smalltalk makes the hard things easy and the impossible possible.
Both ObjectStudio and VisualWorks share the same core libraries and foundation. This means foundation improvements improve both products. This release has very significant and meaningful upgrades for the foundation and for each product.
- For more on the Cincom Smalltalk Foundation, click here.
ObjectStudio 8.8 is the latest release of ObjectStudio. ObjectStudio 8.8 improvements include all the foundation work listed in this letter, as well as over one hundred AR’s representing refinements and fixes to the product.
- For more about the ObjectStudio 8.8 release feature changes, click here.
Please see the ObjectStudio 8.8 readme file for detailed release information. The readme contains AR’s short descriptions and support resolutions addressed.
VisualWorks 8.2 is the latest release of VisualWorks. The release contains nearly one thousand total AR’s (action requests), which represent improvements, refinements and fixes to the product.
- For more about the VisualWorks 8.2 release feature changes, click here.
Please see the VisualWorks 8.2 release notes for detailed release information. The release notes contain AR’s short descriptions and support resolutions addressed.
Cincom Smalltalk — Future Work
If you have specific product needs or suggestions for future enhancements, please contact the product manager, Arden Thomas, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you or your company are interested in participating in Cincom events, developing a customer success story or working with Cincom Systems, Inc. to better promote your Cincom Smalltalk applications, please address your ideas to program director, Suzanne Fortman, at email@example.com.
High value and low cost with a rapid return on investment at low risk—you simply can’t go wrong by choosing Cincom Smalltalk.