Cincom Smalltalk™ Digest: May Edition
Welcome to the May 2021 edition of the Cincom Smalltalk Digest. In this month’s newsletter, you will find the following:
CUSTOMERS and PARTNERS
- Cincom® ObjectStudio® 9.1 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 9.1 Are Here! Find Out How to Get Them!
- Why Is the Cincom Smalltalk Resolutions Newsletter Valuable for Customers and Partners?
- Listening and Learning from You
BEGINNERS, FREELANCERS and DEVELOPERS
- Looking to Better Organize Your Smalltalk Windows?
- Ready to Upgrade Cincom Smalltalk?
- Looking for a New Developer Tool to Evaluate?
- Are There Events Coming Up that Interest You?
- Can We Help You Find Something?
CUSTOMERS and PARTNERS
Cincom ObjectStudio 9.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 9.1 Are Here! Find Out How to Get Them!
We are proud to announce the availability of Cincom Smalltalk 9.1. The current releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 9.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 9.1 are major releases. The 9.x series began our path to move the products closer together, with the intent of offering the best tools and solutions. Cincom Smalltalk 9.1 continues to improve and enhance infrastructure, such as in GUI and TLS/Security areas, to allow continued future improvements while keeping API capability.
Where Can I Get This Release?
Our valued customers and partners can request the release of Cincom Smalltalk 9.1 through our Customer Product Request Form. Should you have any questions or problems accessing the request form, please contact your Sales Account Manager or Cincom Smalltalk Support.
Why Is the Cincom Smalltalk Resolutions Newsletter Valuable for Customers and Partners?
The Cincom Smalltalk Resolutions Newsletter is an exclusive, subscription-only publication that was created over a decade ago for customers and partners only. This valuable publication gives subscribers an easy way to scan through the resolutions that were delivered for Cincom Smalltalk during the previous month.
Over the years, feedback from customers and partners has allowed us to refine the newsletter into what it is today. After regular feedback from readers, our product marketing team stepped in to add more information for those requesting an easier way to track the happenings with Cincom and Cincom Smalltalk. Of course, we never want to distract from the original purpose of the Resolutions Newsletter, so product marketing adds top stories, technical and developer events, tips and techniques and other important web links. These links help you navigate our expansive website and give you ways to get in touch with our developers and product team.
Hear more about this publication from Kimberly Thomas, the Director, Global Product Support, here.
With the release of Cincom Smalltalk 9.1, there’s no better time to be a subscriber! If you are interested in receiving this monthly newsletter with updates on patches for Cincom Smalltalk, subscribe here.
Listening and Learning from You
Do you have any feedback for our team? What are we doing right? What are we doing wrong? What could we do better? Are there other ways we can share information with you?
We value your input and want to make sure you know how to get in touch with us. Please send your comments or suggestions to the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team at CSSTARTeam@cincom.com.
BEGINNERS, FREELANCERS and DEVELOPERS
In this section, beginners to Smalltalk, freelancers and developers will read informative articles and see specific Smalltalk examples to help users learn new skills or enhance existing skills using Cincom Smalltalk.
Looking to Better Organize Your Smalltalk Windows?
If you need options to organize your Smalltalk windows as you are developing, then this month’s new Hidden Gems screencast is just for you! How many times are there too many browser windows open that hinder you from finding one in particular? Or what if you want to close all of your browser windows quickly and easily so you can start all over?
Cascading your Smalltalk windows to find what you want or programmatically closing all of your browsers with the click of a button is the solution. This allows you to arrange and better manage your windows for organization and productivity.
Some other tips shared in this screencast include:
- Resizing a window to its preferred size
- Bringing a window to the front
- Finding your Screen size
- … and more
We use browsers in this example, but you can do the same with your applications.
This screencast is part of the Techniques Series, which shows various techniques of how to accomplish or solve different tasks, as well as the Tools Series, which explores some tools and product features that developers should find useful.
If you have questions, comments, ideas for other Smalltalk examples or suggestions for future Hidden Gems, please send an email to the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team at CSSTARTeam@cincom.com.
Ready to Upgrade Cincom Smalltalk?
In the Frequently Asked Questions on our website, there are multiple threads of customers and partners inquiring about the usage of Cincom Smalltalk with the latest MacOS. The answer is, Cincom VisualWorks 9.1 is the first version to support Big Sur.
Now that Cincom Smalltalk 9.1 is available, customers and partners can use it with the updated MacOS. However, version 9.1 is not currently available for the Personal Use License, and the availability date has not been determined. For those users who are looking to upgrade Cincom Smalltalk to work with the latest MacOS or for any other reason, we have an option available … the Cincom Smalltalk REV 9.1 Program!
What benefits and value do we give Cincom Smalltalk REV 9.1 customers that a trial user never receives with the PUL?
- Full product (the current release of Cincom Smalltalk 9.1 and any other releases that launch during the purchased period)
- Full support for a one-year/12-month time period
- An opportunity to join the Developer Program to get early beta releases of our product, to see where we are taking our product and give comment and feedback to help us build out the future of commercial Smalltalk
- An opportunity to join the Partner Promotion Program to promote their application, help them develop the right markets or find the right space to promote what they have been working on
If you are ready to upgrade, contact our product team for purchasing options and a passcode, as there are some restrictions. Check to see if the product is available to you by emailing the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team.
Looking for a New Developer Tool to Evaluate?
For users who are not ready to make the modest investment for the REV 9.1 Program, but are still interested in trying out Cincom Smalltalk, the Personal Use License (PUL) is a perfect fit. The PUL is ideal for developers who are looking to sharpen their skills through a new developer tool and allows the freedom for users to evaluate our products before realizing that Cincom Smalltalk is the right fit for their business or project needs.
Listen as Suzanne Fortman, the Cincom Smalltalk Program Director and Engineering Manager, shares more about this trial license here.
The Cincom Smalltalk website is where people go when they want to learn about and evaluate Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks. Getting your trial version of the PUL is easy, requiring only a simple form to be filled out. Click here to start exploring Cincom Smalltalk and all that it can do for you.
Are There Events Coming Up that Interest You?
Please take note of these future meetings and their medium for delivery:
- May 26, 2021 (virtual) – UK Smalltalk User Group Meetup
- June 9, 2021 (virtual) – California Smalltalkers Meetup
- October 17-22, 2021 (Chicago, Illinois) – SPLASH 2021 (ACM SIGPLAN conference on Systems, Programming, Languages, and Applications: Software for Humanity). SPLASH 2021 will also be co-hosting (online) other conferences and symposiums simultaneously. Click here for more details.
You can monitor other future meetups and conferences as well as any changes to their scheduling on our Events page.
Can We Help You Find Something?
We have our customer, partner and user resources, programs and product information listed here.
- Customer Product Request Form
- Cincom Discovery Zone for Customer and Partner Services
- Customer Support
- Cincom SupportWeb®
- Cincom Smalltalk Resolutions Portal
- Cincom Smalltalk Resolutions Newsletter
- Customer Education Services
- Cincom Smalltalk Store Repository
- Contributed Components
- Cincom Smalltalk Contributed Application Form
- Reserved NameSpaces
- Cincom Smalltalk Program (customer, partner and developer)
- Cincom Smalltalk Product Management Mini Surveys
- Product Tutorials
- Hidden Gems Screencasts
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Cincom Smalltalk Twitter
- Cincom Smalltalk Facebook
- Cincom Smalltalk YouTube
- Cincom Smalltalk LinkedIn
- Cincom Smalltalk Instagram
Reach out to the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team at CSSTARTeam@cincom.com if you have any further questions or comments.