Smalltalk Digest: June Edition
New Product Releases!
We are pleased to announce that the Personal Use License (PUL) versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® and Cincom® VisualWorks® are now available! This release includes the maintenance releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1. For more information about these new releases, click here.
Latest News and Updates
- Join Our Team! — Cincom Smalltalk Team Seeks New Members
- Major Conference — Cincom Smalltalk Team Plans Significant Participation in ESUG’16
- Changing Times — Welcome to the Wonderful World of Citizen Development
- Making Something Good Even Better — How Raspberry Pi, a Windows Phone and Cincom Smalltalk Worked to Improve a German Exhibit
- Exploring the Motivation — Rapid Web Application Development with AppeX and the Chrome Development Tools
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- Preparing for the Next Stage — Roassal Enters Stabilization Phase
- New Version Released — Version 1.4 of the PDF Library PDF4Smalltalk Released to the Public Store (with MIT License)
- JSON Support — How to Use ODBCEXDI to Handle JSON Data in Cincom VisualWorks
- Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- Good Question, Thorough Answer — Q&A Regarding Visual Wave Migration
- June 27 and July 25,2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- July 11 and September 12, 2016 — Toronto Smalltalk User Group (Toronto, Canada)
- July 18, 2016 — Programming Experience 2016 (PX/16) Workshop at ECOOP (Rome, Italy)
- August 21, 2016 — Camp Smalltalk (Prague, Czech Republic)
- August 22-26, 2016 — The 24th International Smalltalk Joint Conference (ESUG 2016) (Prague, Czech Republic)
- August 23, 2016 — IWST16 — International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (Prague, Czech Republic)
- September 12, 2016 — Toronto Smalltalk User Group (Toronto, Canada)
- October 30 — November 4, 2016 — SPLASH 2016 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- February 8-10, 2017 — 18th Annual Privacy & Security Conference (Victoria, British Columbia)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Availability of Information — Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
Cincom Smalltalk is rapidly growing and improving, and we’re looking for people like you to join our team! If you’ve been looking to start a new career, what better time than now? For more information about the positions we are looking to fill, or to discuss how you might contribute to our growing team, contact Cincom Smalltalk Program Director, Suzanne Fortman.
Want to find out about some hidden gems regarding Cincom Smalltalk? Register now for the 2016 European Smalltalk User Group Conference in Prague, Czech Republic beginning on August 22 through 26. As a platinum sponsor of #ESUG16, several Cincom Smalltalk team members will be attending and available to discuss our products. Check back here for more details.
Due to a number of reasons including decreased budgets and time constraints, citizen developers are becoming more and more prevalent at a steady pace, and the Cincom Smalltalk team is definitely on top of this trend. Click here for more information on this topic including links to a couple of very interesting articles.
Adventure World German Language, a museum-quality exhibit that showcases the extensive history of the German language, went through a significant expansion in 2015, with all of the programming being done using Cincom VisualWorks. After it was decided that a good exhibit could be made even better, Cincom VisualWorks once again is the tool of choice. Click here for more information.
This two-part article serves as both an introduction to AppeX’s “JSFile” framework, which will be available in VW8.2, as well as an exploration of the motivation behind the JSFile framework. Click here for part 1, “Motivation for the AppeX JSFile Externalization Framework” and click here for part 2,”Using JSFiles in Conjunction with the Chrome Development Tools.”
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
Roassal has entered a stabilization phase and will soon be entering a new development phase. In preparation for this, research is being done to determine possible product improvements. Click here to learn more and to find out how you can provide input.
Christian Haider of Smalltalked Visuals GmbH tells us that version 1.4 of the PDF library PDF4Smalltalk has been released to the public store (with MIT license). The library now supports Smalltalk images (pictures) to be inserted into PDFs. For additional information, click here.
JSON data type support has been popular in the last few years since it provides greater flexibility for users. In this article, we will demonstrate how to use ODBCEXDI to handle JSON data in VisualWorks. Click here for the article.
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. Click here to see how Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, intends to uncover those “hidden gems.” Click here to access the new Hidden Gems video, which discusses “Store”.
A Cincom Smalltalk customer recently asked a very pertinent question regarding the migration from Visual Wave in Cincom VisualWorks 7.* to VisualWorks 8.1, and members of our Cincom Smalltalk engineering team were more than happy to provide a detailed response. Click here for this Q&A.
The UK Smalltalk User Group will be meeting on June 27 and July 25 in London, England. Click here for more information.
The Toronto Smalltalk User Group will be meeting on July 11 and September 12 in Toronto, Canada. Click here for more information.
The Programming Experience 2016 (PX/16) Workshop (co-located with ECOOP 2016) will take place on Monday, July 18 in Rome, Italy. Click here for more information.
Camp Smalltalk will be held in Prague, Czech Republic on August 21, just prior to the ESUG 2016 Conference. Click here for more information.
The 24th International Smalltalk Joint Conference (ESUG 2016) will take place in Prague, Czech Republic on August 22-16, 2016. For additional information, click here.
IWST16 (the International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies) will take place in Prague, Czech Republic on August 23, 2016. For more information, click here.
SPLASH 2016 will be held at the Mövenpick Hotel, Amsterdam City Centre in Amsterdam, The Netherlands on October 30 through November 4, 2016. Click here for more information, including details on submitting contributions to this important conference.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
Looking for a particular contributed component? Find all that are available with our current product offerings here.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please contact Cincom Smalltalk Program Director, Suzanne Fortman to obtain a job description or to apply.