Smalltalk Digest: June Edition
New Game … a Fun, Challenging Contest!
The New PUL Versions Are Here!
- Anticipated Releases — PUL Versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® and Cincom® VisualWorks® Now Available!
Grow with Us!
Let Us Help You Succeed
Check It Out!
- Helping to Plan the Future — Product Manager Mini-Survey
- Major Smalltalk Event — Save the Date for ESUG 2014!
- The Path to Success — Programming Ease Boosts Small Company in Battle for CAD Market Share
- Sharing Tools — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- New Tutorials — Additional Tutorial Videos Launched
- Performance Considerations — Concurrency and Leveraging Multi-Core PCs — The Solution? MatriX
- Task Simplification — Are You Looking to Boost Application Performance?
- A Shared Cornerstone — The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Focusing on the Customer — New Cincom Smalltalk Customer Portal
- Watch It! — Cincom Smalltalk Videos and Our Presence on YouTube
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
Helpful Technical Information Smalltalk News Repositories
- July 16, 2014 — Early Bird Registration Ends for the 22nd ESUG Conference
- August 16-17, 2014 — Camp Smalltalk (Cambridge, England)
- August 18-22, 2014 — The 22nd ESUG Conference (Cambridge, England)
- August 19, 2014 — IWST14: International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (Cambridge, England)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
- Visit the Smalltalk Jobs Blog
- Cincom Smalltalk Team Seeks Cincom VisualWorks Senior Software Engineer
2048 is a new and very popular game that we know you’re going to enjoy! To find out more about the Cincom Smalltalk 2048 Contest including important dates, participation rules/guidelines and a list of prizes, click here.
We are pleased to announce that the Personal Use License versions of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks are now available! The current releases of ObjectStudio 8.5.1 and VisualWorks 7.10.1 are the maintenance releases of the ObjectStudio 8.5 and VisualWorks 7.10 major releases. To read about what’s included in these releases and how you can try them for yourself, click here.
Cincom is seeing increased interest for Cincom Smalltalk and with that increased interest comes more requirements for enhancing, improving and advancing Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks. Our Cincom Smalltalk engineers are very busy keeping pace with our existing partners, and just as we need to enhance our products, we need to enhance our product team—especially our VM team on which we are focusing our current hiring efforts. Why not join an exciting, growing team that’s making innovative strides at an astonishing pace? If you’re interested in applying for a position as a Cincom Smalltalk engineer on the VM Team for Cincom’s Smalltalk Development Team, please contact Cincom Smalltalk Program Director, Suzanne Fortman, by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
We realize that when our clients and partners succeed, we succeed. So, Arden Thomas, the Product Manager for Cincom Smalltalk, puts a lot of time and effort into listening to the needs of our customers, partners and prospects. This month’s survey talks about Cincom Smalltalk security and asks questions regarding the use, planned use and issues with TLS (Transport Layer Security) as well as its predecessor, SSL (Secure Sockets Layers), which are protocols that provide secure communication. Click here for more information and to access the survey.
For the 22nd year, ESUG (the European Smalltalk User Group) will be hosting what has become one of the most anticipated Smalltalk events of the year, the European Smalltalk User Group Conference. The conference will be held in Cambridge, England on August 18-22, with Camp Smalltalk preceding it on August 16-17. Sign up before July 16 to get in on the Early Bird Registration fees. Click here for important dates and to register.
Software developer, AR-CAD, is a small shop, but it succeeds in the motion-simulation, engineering and graphics markets on the strength of the solutions they have been able to develop using Cincom Smalltalk. Click here for this client success story.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
For the past few weeks, the Cincom Smalltalk Team has been launching a series of several new tutorials including our “Common Tools” tutorials and product-introduction tutorials.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
For a while now, companies have been using concurrency in their development. But going all-out into concurrency is difficult. We have a solution to that problem: MatriX. Click here to read about some of the problems involved in concurrency, click here to read about the solution to the currency dilemma: MatriX, click here to access the video, “Getting More from Your Multi-Core with MatriX,” and click here for an answer to “How Can We Get the Most Out of Our Modern CPUs?”
Interested in learning an alternative for getting the most out of your PC? Click here to try it, and see how you can use MatriX to leverage the most from your multi-core PCs.
The Cincom Smalltalk team strives to deliver tools to simplify daily tasks for application developers. The complexity of concurrency can sometimes cause difficulties. However, we’re happy to tell you about a powerful solution to your concurrency issues. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation is the shared virtual machine and object libraries shared by the Cincom Smalltalk products. For more information, please watch Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas’, latest presentation from the 2013 Smalltalk Industry Conference here.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
There’s nothing more important to the Cincom Smalltalk team than its customers. Therefore, we now have a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s devoted solely to making available information that may be useful to our valued customers. Click here to check it out.
There are a wide variety of places where you’ll find Cincom Smalltalk and STIC on the web. You can find Cincom Smalltalk videos by clicking here. Also, Cincom Smalltalk and the Smalltalk Industry Council have their very own YouTube pages. To check out the Cincom Smalltalk YouTube page, click here. To view the STIC YouTube page, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
July 16 is the deadline for early bird registration for ESUG 2014, which will be held in Cambridge, England on May 18-22. Make sure that you register before the deadline! For more information on the conference or to register, click here.
Camp Smalltalk will take place in Cambridge, England on August 16-17, in conjunction with the European Smalltalk User Conference. For more information, click here.
The European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) Conference will take place in Cambridge, England on August 18-22. For more information, click here.
The International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies (IWST14) will be held in Cambridge, England on August 19, 2014 and will coincide with the ESUG Conference. For more information, click here.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer, James Savidge, keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks senior software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.