Smalltalk Digest: November Edition
New Year, New Career
Cincom Smalltalk is rapidly growing and improving, and we’re looking for people like you to join our team! If you’ve been looking to start a new career, what better time than the beginning of a new year? For more information about the positions we are looking to fill, or to discuss how you might contribute to our growing team, click here.
- New Product Releases — The Personal Use License Versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.7 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.1 Are Here!
- Product Upgrade — Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 Now Available to Cincom Smalltalk Customers and Partners!
- New Development Tool — Introducing the Senders of Deprecated Browser
- Listening to the Customer — Cincom Smalltalk Mini Survey: Performance
Latest News and Updates
- Free Event — Date and Location Set for OopluCon 2016
- Live Code Environments — Experience the Agile Thoroughbreds at XP Days Germany
- Call for Papers — OOPS Track at SAC 2016 – Dates and Instructions
- November 26-28, 2015 — XP Days Germany (Karlsruhe, Germany)
- April 4-8, 2016 — SAC 2016 (Pisa, Italy)
- April 10, 2016 — OopluCon 2016 (San Francisco, California)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- New Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Focusing on the User — Introducing a Revamped User Portal
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
The Personal Use License Versions of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 Are Here!
We’re happy to report that Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 are here and available. These major releases are stability and performance releases and contain primarily fixes, improvements and refinements to improve the significant new features introduced in the last major releases. To learn more about these releases, or for information on how to try them for yourself, click here.
Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 Now Available to Cincom Smalltalk Customers and Partners!
It is our pleasure to bring you the current version of Cincom Smalltalk. This release includes the major releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1. This set of releases addresses stability and performance, and contains primarily fixes, improvements and refinements to improve the significant new features introduced in the last major releases. You can request media or an FTP transfer of the product. For other options, please speak with your account manager. Current customers and partners can request the maintenance release by clicking here.
The Senders of Deprecated Browser is a new contributed package for Cincom ObjectStudio 8.6 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.0 or above. It was created to help developers track down, evaluate and hopefully eliminate any places in their code that include call methods that have been marked as deprecated. Click here to learn more.
As part of an effort to make sure that we communicate, listen and understand customer requirements, needs and issues, Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, wants to know how our customers feel about the performance of their Cincom Smalltalk-based applications. Click here to read about and participate in the survey.
A date and location has been determined for OopluCon 2016. This free event will take place in San Francisco, California on April 10, 2016. Click here for additional information.
XP Days Germany is coming to Karlsruhe, Germany on November 26-28, 2015, and Cincom Smalltalk’s Helge Nowak will be there to demonstrate how extremely interactive tools impact our mindset and imagination, leading to a new way of working. He’ll also show how live code environments can be used to further integrate the software lifecycle, delivering better solutions at better quality. Click here for more information, as well as an abstract of Helge’s demonstration.
We’re happy to announce that SAC 2016 will be held in Pisa, Italy on April 4-8, 2016. Click here for submission instructions, important dates and additional pertinent information.
Karlsruhe, Germany will be the location for XP Days Germany, which will be held on November 26-28, 2015. Click here for information on the demonstration that Cincom Smalltalk’s Helge Nowak will be giving.
SAC 2016 will take place in Pisa, Italy on April 4-8, 2016. Click here for more conference information including how to answer conference organizers’ call for papers.
San Francisco, California will be playing host to OopluCon 2016, which will be taking place on April 10. For additional information on this free conference, click here.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
We’re happy to announce a new feature of the Cincom Smalltalk website: the Contributed Components Directory. Here you can find all of the contributed components that are available with our current product offerings. Click here for more information on other components.
To the Cincom Smalltalk Team, there’s nothing more important than serving the needs of its users. Complete customer satisfaction is something that we continuously strive for. As part of that effort, we’re happy to introduce a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s dedicated solely to supplying pertinent, important data and helpful links to users. Click here to check it out.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.