Smalltalk Digest: November Edition
- New Product Releases Now Available — Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.6 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.0 Are Here!
Let Us Help You Succeed
Check It Out!
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Remembering ESUG 2014 — ESUG 2014 Videos of Cincom Speakers Now Available
- New Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Sharing Tools — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- New Tutorials — Additional Tutorial Videos Launched
- Performance Considerations — Concurrency and Leveraging Multi-Core PCs: The Solution? MatriX
- Task Simplification — Are You Looking to Boost Application Performance?
- A Shared Cornerstone — The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Focusing on the User — Introducing a Revamped User Portal
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
Try It Out!
Smalltalk News Repositories
Helpful Technical Information
- The Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Files: Transparency
- A New Collection!
- Components that Are No Longer Being Distributed
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
It’s our pleasure to let you know that the new releases of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks are now available. We’re excited about what these new releases have to offer! Click here to find out what’s changed and to request these new releases.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
ESUG 2014 has come and gone, and it was a huge success. If you missed the conference or would like to see any of the presentations again, conferences videos are now available by clicking here.
We’re happy to announce a new feature of the Cincom Smalltalk website: the Contributed Components Directory. Here you can find all of the contributed components that are available with our current product offerings. Click here for more information on other components.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
For the past few weeks, the Cincom Smalltalk Team has been launching a series of several new tutorials including our “Common Tools” tutorials and product-introduction tutorials.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
For a while now, companies have been using concurrency in their development. But going all-out into concurrency is difficult. We have a solution to that problem: MatriX. Click here to read about some of the problems involved in concurrency, click here to read about the solution to the currency dilemma: MatriX, click here to access the video, “Getting More from Your Multi-Core with MatriX,” and click here for an answer to “How Can We Get the Most Out of Our Modern CPUs?”
Interested in learning an alternative for getting the most out of your PC? Click here to try it, and see how you can use MatriX to leverage the most from your multi-core PCs.
The Cincom Smalltalk team strives to deliver tools to simplify daily tasks for application developers. The complexity of concurrency can sometimes cause difficulties. However, we’re happy to tell you about a powerful solution to your concurrency issues. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation is the shared virtual machine and object libraries shared by the Cincom Smalltalk products. For more information, please watch Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager Arden Thomas’ latest presentation from the 2014 Smalltalk Industry Conference here.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
To the Cincom Smalltalk Team, there’s nothing more important than serving the needs of its users. Complete customer satisfaction is something that we continuously strive for. As part of that effort, we’re happy to introduce a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s dedicated solely to supplying pertinent, important data and helpful links to users. Click here to check it out.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
We are pleased to announce that the Personal Use License versions of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks are available! The current releases of ObjectStudio 8.5.1 and VisualWorks 7.10.1 are the maintenance releases of the ObjectStudio 8.5 and VisualWorks 7.10 major releases. To read about what’s included in these releases and how you can try them for yourself, click here.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
Cincom Smalltalk’s Andreas Hiltner has written an article that explains transparency within Cincom ObjectStudio GUI files. Click here for Andreas’ article.
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager Arden Thomas has written an article that tells us about a new type of collection that’s available in both of our Cincom Smalltalk products—Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks. Click Click here to read Arden’s explanation.
There are several Cincom Smalltalk components that are no longer being distributed, however, they can be downloaded and installed just like selectable distributed components:
- Aida/Web—Aida/Web is a Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server.
- BottomFeeder—BottomFeeder is an RSS/Atom News Aggregator. NOTE: BottomFeeder does not work in Cincom VisualWorks 8.0. The untimely death of James Robertson, its creator and champion, means it will not work there or in later releases (unless another champion should step forward from the community).
- DoME (Domain Modeling Environment)—An extensible collection of integrated model-editing, meta-modeling and analysis tools.
- Jun for Smalltalk—A 3D multimedia graphics library that supports topology and geometry.
- Legacy PostgreSQL (Protocol 2.0)—This component provides the PostgreSQL driver for protocol 2.0, along with a Base64Encoding utility and the Sport dialect-neutrality framework.
- Swazoo—Swazoo is an open source, vendor-agnostic, dialect-neutral Smalltalk web server with resource and web request resolution framework.
For a list of additional components, click here.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.