Session Two: Learning the X’s and O’s with Smalltalk Support
Expert coaching done the right way with Cincom Smalltalk Support
One way to receive coaching on how to move forward from an old release to the latest Cincom Smalltalk release is to do a little bit of self-study with the release notes. The release notes contain new feature descriptions and changes, and the bug fix files list the ARs addressed. A little reading can go a long way toward a smoother, less-frustrating upgrade.
Coaching Session Two: Upgrading Cincom Smalltalk
You have been a loyal Cincom Smalltalk customer or partner for years, and now it’s time to take advantage of the features that the newer release of Cincom Smalltalk offers. You can see that the currently supported versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® and Cincom® VisualWorks® will give your team the opportunity to increase the value of your application by using these features to enhance it.
The purpose of this coaching session is to determine when you should upgrade your application. We feel that there are some planning issues you need to think about and even document before taking the step to move your application forward:
- How long has it been since the application has been upgraded?
- How large is your application? How do you identify size? Is it by lines of code, parcels, classes, packages, etc.?
- What configuration methodology do you employ to manage your application?
- What areas of your application have overrides to the base product in place? Can you easily identify those areas?
- Who will be doing the actual work?
- Do they have the necessary skills to move the application forward in the time frames you have determined?
- Before they start the upgrade, will they have time to review and understand all of the changes described in the manuals and release notes of the versions released after the one they are currently using?
- What is your development methodology? Does it allow for a high level of flexibility in addressing unexpected events along the way?
To avoid unnecessary frustration, do your homework before you begin. Become one with your Smalltalk application. The upgrade itself will go smoothly, but if you would like Cincom to help in the upgrade process, look into our Cincom Smalltalk Consulting and Services option.
When it’s time to upgrade your application, you can rest assured that you’ll be taking advantage of the new features of Cincom Smalltalk and bringing even more value to your organization.
As always, Cincom Smalltalk Support is here to help you move forward when questions or product challenges arise. Let’s get connected so we can coach you on your upgrade to the latest Cincom Smalltalk release. We look forward to hearing from you. Just contact us via:
- Cincom SupportWeb for immediate support.
- HelpNA@cincom.com and EuroTSC@cincom.com to file new support cases.
You can reach the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team at CSSTARTeam@cincom.com if you have any further questions.