Smalltalk Digest: January Edition
Latest News and Updates
- Product Releases — Get the Current Personal Use License Versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.8 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.2!
- Product Upgrade — Cincom ObjectStudio 8.8 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.2 Also Available to Cincom Smalltalk™ Customers and Partners
- Recognition Opportunities — The Stack Overflow 2017 Survey Is Now Open!
- Carolina Camp — An Invitation to Camp Smalltalk – RDU
- Changing Times — Welcome to the Wonderful World of Citizen Development
- Making Something Good Even Better — How Raspberry Pi and Cincom Smalltalk Worked to Improve a German Exhibit
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- JSON Support — How to Use ODBCEXDI to Handle JSON Data in Cincom VisualWorks
- **NEW**Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- Good Question, Thorough Answer — Q&A Regarding Visual Wave Migration
Cincom Corporate Information
- January 30, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- January 31, 2017 — Brisbane Smalltalk Meetup (Brisbane, Australia)
- February 8-10, 2017 — 18th Annual Privacy & Security Conference (Victoria, British Columbia)
- February 27, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- March 27, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- March 31-April 2, 2017 — Camp Smalltalk RDU (Raleigh Durham, NC)
- April 3-6, 2017 — ‹Programming› 2017 (Brussels, Belgium)
- April 3-7, 2017 — ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) 2017 (Marrakesh, Morocco)
- April 9, 2017 — OopluCon 2017 (San Francisco, California)
- April 24, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- September 4-8, 2017 — 2017 European Smalltalk User Group Conference (Maribor, Slovenia)
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
It is our pleasure to bring you the current Personal Use License (PUL) versions of Cincom Smalltalk. This release includes the major releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.8 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.2. For more information about the new release, click here.
Customers and partners can request media or an ftp transfer of Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks. For other options, please speak with your account manager, or contact the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team. To request this release, please fill out the short form on this page.
We’re happy to report that the Stack Overflow 2017 survey is now open! This survey presents an excellent opportunity to publicize the language that we love—Smalltalk. Click here to learn more about the survey.
Camp Smalltalk – Raleigh/Durham (aka Camp Smalltalk – RDU) will be held in downtown Durham, North Carolina on March 31 – April 2, 2017. Click here for more information.
Due to a number of reasons including decreased budgets and time constraints, citizen developers are becoming more and more prevalent at a steady pace, and the Cincom Smalltalk team is definitely on top of this trend. Click here for more information on this topic including links to a couple of very interesting articles.
Adventure World German Language, a museum-quality exhibit that showcases the extensive history of the German language, went through a significant expansion in 2015, with all of the programming being done using Cincom VisualWorks. After it was decided that a good exhibit could be made even better, Cincom VisualWorks once again is the tool of choice. Click here for more information.
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
JSON data type support has been popular in the last few years since it provides greater flexibility for users. In this article, we will demonstrate how to use ODBCEXDI to handle JSON data in VisualWorks. Click here for the article.
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. This month’s edition is on “Perm Save.”
Click here to see other Hidden Gems by Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas.
A Cincom Smalltalk customer recently asked a very pertinent question regarding the migration from Visual Wave in Cincom VisualWorks 7.* to VisualWorks 8.1, and members of our Cincom Smalltalk engineering team were more than happy to provide a detailed response. Click here for this Q&A.
On Thursday, October 13, 2016, Cincom invited its French customers to Paris to thank them for their loyalty and to celebrate 40 years in the software industry in France. The gathering focused on Digital Transformation, and Cincom organized a real journey to the heart of this topic. Click here to read more.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
Looking for a particular contributed component? Find all that are available with our current product offerings here.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Are you bored with the same old daily grind? Maybe your current position doesn’t present a challenge or an opportunity to show off your wide range of skills, abilities and full potential. Maybe it’s time to think about moving on to something different—something more exciting and challenging. Cincom Smalltalk is growing and improving by leaps and bounds, and you just might be a perfect fit for this team of innovative professionals. There’s no better time than the present to check it out! For more information about the positions we are currently looking to fill, or to discuss how you might contribute to our growing team, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.