Cincom® VisualWorks® is an enterprise application development and delivery platform used by world-class companies. VisualWorks is elegant, productive and powerful and unsurpassed in interactive development. It is a versatile Developer’s tool that is the benchmark for object-oriented development. VisualWorks is dubbed the “Do Anything, Faster, Better” tool and is instantly portable across a wide range of platforms.
Whether it’s web applications, web services, internet connectivity or database connectivity, VisualWorks includes a set of superior development tools with components for any type of work your team might contemplate. In addition, VisualWorks now includes best-of-breed tools such as the Refactoring Browser, “Live Code” interactive development and the Professional Debugger Package fully integrated with the product, as well as support for all industry standard databases and Unit Testing Framework.
What’s New in VisualWorks:
- “Skins” UI work introduced—There has been a longtime debate about which is better: native widgets or emulated widgets. Both have pros and cons. “Skins” is an innovative solution that gives native OS rendering along with emulated flexibility, which many consider to be the best of both worlds. Skinnable widgets are introduced in the product, two widgets (buttons and scroll bars) initially.
- VisualWorks 64-bit Windows moved to supported—A 64-bit VisualWorks VM and image were created to allow customers to utilize the capabilities that a full 64-bit application can give. The most obvious advantages are a vastly larger object space. This has been a critical need for some customers. Feature stable, move to supported.
- 64-bit support; COM 64, Oracle 64, Win ODBC 64—APIs and drivers for 64-bit variations are now available. Customer requested and being delivered.
What You Get in VisualWorks:
- Major improvements to WSDL 2.0 / SOAP 1.2 to handle updated protocols.
- Store II improvements from Foundation.
- Comparison Tool and Merge Engine
- Project Launcher
- Polycephaly Preview—Leverages Multi-Core computers
- Internationalization—CLDR (Common Locale Data Repository) based, going from 14 locales to hundreds with Unicode standard.
- Garbage Collection Performance Improvements
- Major improvements to the 64-bit platforms.
- Major improvements to COM—Allows us to more easily integrate Windows capabilities into VisualWorks applications.
- COM ActiveX—This framework for component reuse on Windows platforms allows us to more easily integrate Windows capabilities and their interfaces into VisualWorks applications.
“After using VisualWorks…for over a month I am impressed by the great improvement VisualWorks has made and all previous bugs now have gone. It’s the best IDE I’ve ever seen for native language programming. Thanks a lot.”
– Jim G.