This generation of Smalltalk also stands as the best way to interoperate with the existing and competing standards of .NET and J2EE. With CORBA support for J2EE, Web Services support for .NET and COM support for legacy applications, VisualWorks is uniquely suited as an integration platform.
After using VisualWorks…for over a month I am impressed by the great improvement VisualWorks has made and all previous bugs now have gone. It’s the best IDE I’ve ever seen for native language programming. Thanks a lot.Jim G
Whether it’s web applications, web services, internet connectivity or database connectivity, VisualWorks includes a set of superior development tools with components for any type of work your team might contemplate. VisualWorks now includes best-of-breed tools such as the Refactoring Browser, “Live Code” interactive development and the Professional Debugger Package fully integrated with the product, as well as support for all industry standard databases and Unit Testing Framework. Additionally, because it shares the Cincom Smalltalk Foundation with Cincom® ObjectStudio®, VisualWorks is also Logo Compatible with Windows 8.
What’s New in VisualWorks:
It is our pleasure to bring you the current release of Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 VisualWorks 8.1.1 is the latest maintenance release of VisualWorks. The release contains nearly one thousand total AR’s (action requests), which represent improvements, refinements and fixes to the product.
Both Cincom® ObjectStudio® and Cincom VisualWorks share the same core libraries and foundation. This means foundation improvements improve both products. This release has very significant and meaningful upgrades for the foundation and for each product.
What You Get in VisualWorks:
- Major improvements to WSDL 2.0 / SOAP 1.2 to handle updated protocols.
- Store II improvements from Foundation.
- Comparison Tool and Merge Engine
- Project Launcher
- Polycephaly Preview—Leverages Multi-Core computers
- Internationalization—CLDR (Common Locale Data Repository) based, going from 14 locales to hundreds with Unicode standard.
- Garbage Collection Performance Improvements
- Major improvements to the 64-bit platforms.
- Major improvements to COM—Allows us to more easily integrate Windows capabilities into VisualWorks applications.
- COM ActiveX—This framework for component reuse on Windows platforms allows us to more easily integrate Windows capabilities and their interfaces into VisualWorks applications.
VisualWorks is a natural for both Rudolph and our customers, because it lets us quickly try out new ideas, debug quickly and effectively in both development and run-time environments, and manage our code artifacts in a meaningful way. We’ve been very successful at teaching these concepts to our customers so they can manage their own development efforts.Becky Cooper, Deputy Director of Control Systems, Rudolph Technologies