Cincom includes Cincom ObjectStudio as part of Cincom Smalltalk. ObjectStudio’s Smalltalk environment is Logo Compatible with Windows 8. For customers needing to build applications that cleanly fold into a Microsoft-centric infrastructure, ObjectStudio is the best choice. ObjectStudio is a Windows-specific platform that is oriented toward building client applications that need good connectivity to databases, and we now ship a database mapping tool and a modeling tool as part of the product.
What’s New in ObjectStudio:
Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks share the Cincom Smalltalk Foundation which consists of shared libraries, the virtual machine (VM) and other key components. To learn more about the updates to the Foundation, click here
- (New!) New Graphical User Interface (Preview)
- New widgets
- Marquee Dialog
- (New!) New COM preview
- Better font integration
- Can use all fonts
- All forms (bold, italicized, underlined, etc.)
- Modeling tool refinements
- Improved class imports
- Improved context help
- Mapping tool refinements
- Better table creation
- New ODBC api
What You Get in ObjectStudio:
- Logo Compatible with Windows 8
- Latest foundation tools and improvements (Foundation 7.9.1).
- Modeling Tool—Allows a business architect to design and generate the framework for a software system using a powerful UML (Unified Modeling Language) base tool.
- Mapping Tool—Connect your Smalltalk objects to relational databases the easy way. The mapping tool allows an easy connection from relational databases to objects and applications, now using our powerful object relational mapping technology.
- Mapping Tool Enhancements – Graphical utilization of Glorp’s most important capabilities and improved integration with the Modeling tool.
- Spy Debug Tool – Tracks messages sent to specific instances
- Scriptable Installer – Now using a more flexible XML based installer
- Improvements to the Runtime Packager for ObjectStudio – Made more familiar for those migrating from 7.x
- Cursor Support for Oracle – Adds PL/SQL reference cursor support
- Unicode Support for Databases
- Trippy Inspector – Now the standard, featured inspector
- C to Smalltalk Migration Work—Makes more customization accessible to customers.
- Lots of refinements and fixes
“So far I really like the overall package. The cleaner interface with the more modern look is great. It is important when showing your work to non-Smalltalkers who are still PC/Mac users. This is something current users may not understand. The interface seems snappier also.” – Current ObjectStudio user