What’s New in ObjectStudio:
It is our pleasure to bring you the current release of Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.7.1. ObjectStudio 8.7.1 is a maintenance release and is the latest version of Cincom ObjectStudio. Cincom continues to provide high value and low cost with a rapid return on investment at low risk. These products exemplify the Cincom adage: Simplification Through Innovation®.
Both ObjectStudio and Cincom® VisualWorks® share the same core libraries and foundation. This means foundation improvements improve both products. This release has very significant and meaningful upgrades for the foundation and for each product.
As we continue to make Cincom ObjectStudio the perfect Smalltalk solution, the future will see even more advancements than what is in this current release. These include:
- Next Generation UI integration and compatibility
- OLE2 completion
- 64 bit
Please see the ObjectStudio 8.7.1 readme file for detailed release information. The readme contains AR’s short descriptions and support resolutions addressed.
What You Get in ObjectStudio:
- Logo Compatible with Windows 8
- Latest foundation tools and improvements (Foundation 8.0).
- Modeling Tool—Allows a business architect to design and generate the framework for a software system using a powerful UML (Unified Modeling Language) base tool.
- Mapping Tool—Connect your Smalltalk objects to relational databases the easy way. The mapping tool allows an easy connection from relational databases to objects and applications, now using our powerful object relational mapping technology.
- Mapping Tool Enhancements - Graphical utilization of Glorp's most important capabilities and improved integration with the Modeling tool.
- Spy Debug Tool - Tracks messages sent to specific instances
- Scriptable Installer - Now using a more flexible XML based installer
- Improvements to the Runtime Packager for ObjectStudio - Made more familiar for those migrating from 7.x
- Cursor Support for Oracle - Adds PL/SQL reference cursor support
- Unicode Support for Databases
- Trippy Inspector - Now the standard, featured inspector
- C to Smalltalk Migration Work—Makes more customization accessible to customers.
- Lots of refinements and fixes
So far I really like the overall package. The cleaner interface with the more modern look is great. It is important when showing your work to non-Smalltalkers who are still PC/Mac users. This is something current users may not understand. The interface seems snappier also.Current ObjectStudio user
ObjectStudio is a Windows-specific platform that is oriented toward building client applications that need good connectivity to databases, and we now ship a database mapping tool and a modeling tool as part of the product.