Cincom includes Cincom® ObjectStudio® as part of Cincom Smalltalk™. ObjectStudio is the first—and only—Compatible with Windows 7 Smalltalk environment. For customers needing to build applications that cleanly fold into a Microsoft-centric infrastructure, ObjectStudio is the best choice. ObjectStudio is a Windows-specific platform that is oriented toward building client applications that need good connectivity to databases, and we now ship a database mapping tool and a modeling tool as part of the product.
What’s New in ObjectStudio:
- The ability to use foundation (VisualWorks) COM Connect—The foundation COM Connect has become more advanced than the ObjectStudio OLE package. Our future plan is to explore converging on one. In the meantime, we will make the foundation COM Connect available to ObjectStudio users who need the features it has. COM Connect is now part of the default ObjectStudio installation.
- Drag and Drop improvements—Customers requested drag and drop improvements for TreeView. There are now numerous drag and drop refinements.
- Modeling-tool enhancements—The modeling tool is a powerful feature tool for ObjectStudio. Engineering continues to add desired features and refine behavior from customer feedback.
- Mapping tool enhancements—The mapping tool is a powerful feature tool for ObjectStudio. The mapping tool allows applications to quickly and capably integrate with relational databases. Engineering continues to add desired features and refine behavior from customer feedback.
- Cursor support for Oracle—Customers requested support for this RDB feature from ObjectStudio applications. The CST API was enhanced to support this feature.
What You Get in ObjectStudio:
- Compatible with Windows 7—The only Smalltalk environment that can say this.
- Latest foundation tools and improvements (Foundation 7.9.1).
- Modeling Tool—Allows a business architect to design and generate the framework for a software system using a powerful UML (Unified Modeling Language) base tool.
- Mapping Tool—Connect your Smalltalk objects to relational databases the easy way. The mapping tool allows an easy connection from relational databases to objects and applications, now using our powerful object relational mapping technology.
- Mapping Tool Enhancements – Graphical utilization of Glorp’s most important capabilities and improved integration with the Modeling tool.
- Spy Debug Tool – Tracks messages sent to specific instances
- Scriptable Installer – Now using a more flexible XML based installer
- Improvements to the Runtime Packager for ObjectStudio – Made more familiar for those migrating from 7.x
- Cursor Support for Oracle – Adds PL/SQL reference cursor support
- Unicode Support for Databases
- Trippy Inspector – Now the standard, featured inspector
- C to Smalltalk Migration Work—Makes more customization accessible to customers.
- Lots of refinements and fixes
“So far I really like the overall package. The cleaner interface with the more modern look is great. It is important when showing your work to non-Smalltalkers who are still PC/Mac users. This is something current users may not understand. The interface seems snappier also.” – Current ObjectStudio user