- Give Penn State University students, faculty, and staff access to its information storehouse.
- Ensure scalability to match the growth of web-based applications.
- Leverage investments in existing mainframe storage.
Provide a development environment that:
- Accommodated periods of extremely heavy usage without system crashes.
- Ensured security of administrative and instructional data.
- Allowed for expansion as needed without downtimes.
- Cincom Smalltalk enabled Penn State to put client-server applications on the web with very little effort.
- Cincom Smalltalk streamlined the creation of the user interface and the web-to-database access mechanisms.
- The end product significantly eased processing requirements for the university’s legacy system, while preserving the substantial investment in mainframe technology.