Smalltalk Digest: January Edition
Happy new year! Welcome to the January 2018 edition of the Cincom Smalltalk Digest.
Uncovering Unknown Abilities —
Hidden Gems Screencast Series
Name: ValueModel Series – AspectAdaptors
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk™ aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. In this month’s edition, Arden Thomas, the Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, continues the ValueModel mini-series. The powerful concept of ValueModels can make your applications simpler, more modular and more reusable―if you know how.
This month’s edition features using the AspectAdaptor ValueModel with three screencasts. The first screencast shows some slides depicting and describing the architecture:
The second screencast shows and discusses the example shown in the slides, built and running:
The third bonus screencast shows how to build the application in more detail:
If you have any questions, please send them or other comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
Cincomer to Lead Workshop at Upcoming Conference
On February 5-9, the OOP 2018 Conference in Munich, Germany will take place, and Cincom’s Helge Nowak will be giving a half-day tutorial on the subject of “Collaborating Mobs”. Click here for more information about Helge’s workshop.
Opportunities with Cincom Smalltalk
Suzanne Fortman, the Director of Smalltalk Global Operations, recently spoke at a conference on the topic of “The Business Side of Smalltalk”. She covered the many programs we have available for partners and students, the various ways Cincom works to build up and grow the Smalltalk Community and many other things. Here’s a quick reference:
Smalltalk is recognized by the education community as a superior language for teaching students about high-quality systems and object development. Learn more about what we offer to students and faculty here:
- DOWNLOAD: Cincom Smalltalk Academic Personal Use License Version
- Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
(View the institutions currently using this program here.)
- Academic Project Submissions
Whatever you need in Smalltalk—tools, services and full support—Cincom has it. We’re sure once you’ve experienced Cincom Smalltalk for yourself, you’ll fall in love with it.
Are you a business owner looking to grow your business? Now’s your chance to rev up your business and take it to the next level using Cincom Smalltalk! Here’s a quick, easy way to grow with a limited Value Added License Agreement with Cincom:
Our Customer Portal has links to all the important information our partners and customers need. Here’s a quick guide:
- Customer Product Request Form – For customers and partners with a valid customer number.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Cincom Professional Services – Get more information on product upgrades, mentoring, troubleshooting, performance enhancements, migrations and more.
- Customer Support
- Education Services
Here’s a quick guide to the popular resources we have available on our website:
- Common Tools Tutorials
- Cincom® ObjectStudio® Tutorials
- Cincom® VisualWorks® Tutorials
- Cincom Smalltalk Presentations
- Cincom Smalltalk Videos
- Public Store Repository
- Contributed Components
- Reserved NameSpaces
- January 29, 2018 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- February 5-9, 2018 — OOP 2018 (Munich, Germany)
- February 26, 2018 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- April 9-12, 2018 — ‹Programming› 2018 (Nice, France)
- April 9-13, 2018 — ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) 2018 (Pau, France)