Smalltalk Digest: September Edition
New Cincom Smalltalk™ Product Release Information
- **NEW**Major Releases Available — Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.9 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.3 Are Here!
- **NEW**Unified Document — Improvement to Cincom Smalltalk™ Data Sheet
Latest News and Updates
- **NEW**Presentations Available — Successful #ESUG17 in the Books
- **NEW** Upcoming Conference Information — Smalltalks 2017 Registration and Call for Participation
- **NEW**Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- The Tradition Continues — Make Plans Now for Smalltalks 2017
- Providing a Stable Core — Cincom Smalltalk Helps Digital Design Solutions LLC Optimize Auditorium Design System
- Students Tackle a Challenge — Student-Created Application Provides an Adaptable and Flexible Programming Environment for the Visually Impaired
- Results Are In — Smalltalk Is Not Just a Well-Loved Development Language, It Also Pays Well!
- Knowing Smalltalk — A Smart Move for a Developer
- September 25, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- October 22-27 — 2017 ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity – SPLASH (Vancouver, CA)
- October 30, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
- November 8-10, 2017 — Smalltalks 2017 (La Plata, Argentina)
- November 27, 2017 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, UK)
Benefit Highlights and Resources
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities and Career Resources
- Looking to Start a New Career?
- Visit the Smalltalk Job Blog
- Network with Cincom Smalltalk
- Career-Related Articles
The Cincom Smalltalk team is proud to announce the current releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.9 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.3. These are major releases that address over 700 action requests (ARs) and represent several significant improvements and new features. To read more about these exciting new releases, click here.
— Cincom Smalltalk (@cincomsmalltalk) September 12, 2017
Each time a major release of Cincom Smalltalk comes out, the data sheet for each product is updated and provided in the documentation, as well as on the Cincom Smalltalk website. For this release, we took a different approach, combining the individual Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks copy with information about the Cincom Smalltalk Foundation. This unified document resulted in the first ever “Cincom Smalltalk Data Sheet” and provides a good foundation for the future direction of Cincom Smalltalk. To view this new data sheet, click here.
Recently, several members of the Cincom Smalltalk product team were at the 2017 European Smalltalk User Group Conference in Maribor, Slovenia. Part of the team was there as speakers while other team members had the opportunity to meet with current customers and partners, picking up requests for the new product release (see above).
- Click here to view the presentations from our speakers.
- Click here for some candid photos and tweets from the conference (our Cincom Smalltalk #ESUG17 Twitter Moment).
— Cincom Smalltalk (@cincomsmalltalk) September 5, 2017
FAST (Fundación Argentina de Smalltalk) invites you to attend and participate in the 11th Smalltalks 2017 Conference. This popular conference focuses on Smalltalk-based technologies, research and industry applications and will be held in La Plata, Argentina on November 8-10 at Universidad Nacional de La Plata. Additional activities are also planned at the same site on November 6 and 7. Click here for information regarding registration, accommodations and ways to participate.
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. This month’s edition is an introduction to a new series on ValueModels.
The powerful concept of ValueModels can make your applications simpler, more modular and more reusable―if you know how. Here’s a ValueModel example walkthrough, for those who are new to the product.
Continuing with a great tradition, FAST is organizing Smalltalks—the free conference on Smalltalk-based technologies, research and industry applications. This year Smalltalks 2017 will be held on November 8-10 at Universidad Nacional de La Plata, in La Plata, Argentina. For more information on ways that you can contribute to this event, click here.
- For information on registration, accommodations and how you can support FAST, click here.
Digital Design Solutions LLC provides digital design solutions to a wide range of design professionals. They recently used the capabilities of Cincom Smalltalk to help them achieve the challenge of developing a robust and non-contradictory optimization system that optimizes the acoustical, visual and programmatic parameters while displaying 3D components in 2D. Click here for the complete user story.
At Universidad Nacional de Quilmes in Buenos Aires, Argentina, two students, along with the backing of their professors, elected to tackle a challenge that was affecting their visually impaired classmates: integrating screen readers with Smalltalk. Click here to read this interesting story.
Besides listing Smalltalk as the #2 Most Loved Software Language, the 2017 Stack Overflow Survey showed that Smalltalk developers are also the second highest salary-earners, based on experience. To see these results, as well as the Salary Self-Assessment by Language, click here. For Smalltalk job opportunities and resources, see below.
Obviously, learning Smalltalk is beneficial—even if you wind up not having the opportunity to use it directly. Click here for more information on how knowing Smalltalk is a big plus for developers.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
Looking for a particular contributed component? Find all that are available with our current product offerings here.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- System Browser Overview
- Core Browser Usage
- Inspector Tool
- Debugger Overview
- Debugger Usage
- Version Control
- Process Monitor
- Code Recovery
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of tutorials for introducing our products.
- Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction
- Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One
- Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction
- Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two
- Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview
- Setting Up Your Environment
According to the results of the 2017 Stack Overflow Survey, only 13% of developers are actively looking for a job. However, over 75% of developers are interested in hearing and learning about new job opportunities.
Are you bored with the same old daily grind? Maybe your current position doesn’t present a challenge or an opportunity to show off your wide range of skills, abilities and full potential. Maybe it’s time to think about moving on to something different—something more exciting and challenging. Cincom Smalltalk is growing and improving by leaps and bounds, and you just might be a perfect fit for this team of innovative professionals. There’s no better time than the present to check it out!
For more information about the positions we are currently looking to fill, or to discuss how you might contribute to our growing team, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The results of the 2017 Stack Overflow Survey gave us a lot of insight into career opportunities. According to the survey, when the question was asked as to how developers found their current jobs, those who responded said that networking indeed does matter. The most common way developers found their most recent jobs was through a friend, family member or former colleague who told them about it. The second most common, however, was by being contacted by someone at the company, such as a company recruiter.
If you are interested in networking and leveraging the name of the largest global commercial Smalltalk provider to help benefit your career, reach out to Jeremy Jordan, the Sr. Creator of Opportunities for Cincom Smalltalk.
Establishing a fulfilling career in today’s competitive world isn’t easy! Click here to view interesting career-related articles and resources that you may find informative and helpful.