Smalltalk Digest: September Edition
— Suzanne Fortman (@SuzCST) September 15, 2016
Latest News and Updates
- Product Upgrade — Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.8 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.2 Now Available to Cincom Smalltalk™ Customers and Partners
- Conference Presentations — Presentations from #ESUG16 Now Available!
- Argentinian User Conference — An Invitation to the 10th International Conference on Smalltalk Technologies (Smalltalks)
- Smalltalker Camaraderie — Zürich Smalltalkers Meeting
- Changing Times — Welcome to the Wonderful World of Citizen Development
- Making Something Good Even Better — How Raspberry Pi, a Windows Phone and Cincom Smalltalk Worked to Improve a German Exhibit
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- JSON Support — How to Use ODBCEXDI to Handle JSON Data in Cincom VisualWorks
- **NEW**Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- Good Question, Thorough Answer — Q&A Regarding Visual Wave Migration
- September 26 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- October 30-November 4, 2016 — SPLASH 2016 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- October 31, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- November 8, 2016 — Zürich Smalltalkers’ Meetup (Zürich, Switzerland)
- November 9-11, 2016 — 10th International Conference on Smalltalk Technologies (Smalltalks) (Tucumán, Argentina)
- November 28, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- February 8-10, 2017 — 18th Annual Privacy & Security Conference (Victoria, British Columbia)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
It is our pleasure to bring you the current version of Cincom Smalltalk. This release includes the major releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.8 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.2. To learn more about these new releases, please see the product release notes. The release notes contain new feature descriptions and descriptions of the ARs and support resolutions that were addressed.
You can request media or an ftp transfer of the product. For other options, please speak with your account manager, or contact the Cincom Smalltalk Product Team. To request this release, please fill out the short form on this page.
The 2016 European Smalltalk User Group Conference, which was held in Prague, Czechia on August 22 through 26, has come and gone, but you can still see the insightful and informative presentations. Click here to see the presentations that are available.
The Fundación Argentina de Smalltalk (FAST) invites you to the 10th International Conference on Smalltalk Technologies (Smalltalks), which will be held on November 9-11 at the Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, Facultad Regional Tucumán, in the city of Tucumán, Argentina. Please make sure to register early to receive the conference shirt and to help plan the conference’s social events. Donations from participants are also being accepted for the purpose of helping to fund the conference costs. Click here for additional information.
The Zürich Smalltalkers are planning another in a series of very enjoyable conferences. At this time, the conference is scheduled for November 8, 2016. Click here for more information on how to participate in the camaraderie shared by the Zürich Smalltalkers.
Due to a number of reasons including decreased budgets and time constraints, citizen developers are becoming more and more prevalent at a steady pace, and the Cincom Smalltalk team is definitely on top of this trend. Click here for more information on this topic including links to a couple of very interesting articles.
Adventure World German Language, a museum-quality exhibit that showcases the extensive history of the German language, went through a significant expansion in 2015, with all of the programming being done using Cincom VisualWorks. After it was decided that a good exhibit could be made even better, Cincom VisualWorks once again is the tool of choice. Click here for more information.
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
JSON data type support has been popular in the last few years since it provides greater flexibility for users. In this article, we will demonstrate how to use ODBCEXDI to handle JSON data in VisualWorks. Click here for the article.
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. This month’s edition is on ArrowKeys.
Click here to see other Hidden Gems by Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas.
A Cincom Smalltalk customer recently asked a very pertinent question regarding the migration from Visual Wave in Cincom VisualWorks 7.* to VisualWorks 8.1, and members of our Cincom Smalltalk engineering team were more than happy to provide a detailed response. Click here for this Q&A.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
Looking for a particular contributed component? Find all that are available with our current product offerings here.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.