Smalltalk Digest: February Edition
New Year, New Career
Cincom Smalltalk is rapidly growing and improving, and we’re looking for people like you to join our team! If you’ve been looking to start a new career, what better time than the beginning of a new year? For more information about the positions we are looking to fill, or to discuss how you might contribute to our growing team, click here.
Latest News and Updates
- Successful Product Releases — The Current Personal Use License Versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.7 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.1 Are Flourishing!
- Cincom Smalltalk Mini Survey — GUI Evolution in Cincom Smalltalk Products
- Extending Knowledge — Get Social with Cincom Smalltalk
- JSON Support — How to Use ODBCEXDI to Handle JSON Data in Cincom VisualWorks
- Exposing Unknown Abilities — Hidden Gems Screencast Series
- Good Question, Thorough Answer — Q&A Regarding Visual Wave Migration
- Recent Releases — Announcing New GemStone Releases
- New Development Tool — Introducing the Senders of Deprecated Browser
- Accommodating Customer Needs — Introducing BrowseOverrides
- Product Update — New Release of Roassal
- A Look at Our Numbering System — Random Musings − Why 12 Is a Good Number
- Seeking Submissions — SPLASH 2016 Combined Call for Contributions
- Free Event — OopluCon 2016 − A Conference for Object-Oriented Programming Languages
- Call for Papers — OOPS Track at SAC 2016 – Dates and Instructions
- February 29, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- March 29, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- April 4-8, 2016 — SAC 2016 (Pisa, Italy)
- April 10, 2016 — OopluCon 2016 (San Francisco, California)
- April 25, 2016 — UK Smalltalk User Group (London, England)
- October 30 — November 4, 2016 — SPLASH 2016 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Cincom Corporate Information
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- New Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Focusing on the User — Introducing a Revamped User Portal
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
We’re happy to report that the current versions of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 are being very well-received. If you are a customer looking to update your software, click here. If you are looking for the personal use license versions, click here.
We continue to advance and improve the GUI frameworks in our Smalltalk products including “Millennium” improvements such as Cincom ObjectStudio: Next Generation UI and Cincom VisualWorks: Look&Feel2 (UI-Skinning). Product management is looking for feedback on how these meet your needs so that we can provide the most capable products we can to our customers. For more information and to access the survey, click here.
Our website is a virtual goldmine with a wealth of knowledge found throughout the many pages on our site. Did you know we also have an active social media presence? Click here for more information on getting social with Cincom Smalltalk.
JSON data type support has been popular in the last few years since it provides greater flexibility for users. In this article, we will demonstrate how to use ODBCEXDI to handle JSON data in VisualWorks. Click here for the article.
The purpose of the Hidden Gems Screencast is to make developers who use Cincom Smalltalk aware of the useful abilities of the products that may not be obvious. Click here to see how Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, intends to uncover those “hidden gems.” NEW: This month’s edition is a continuation of the Browser.
A Cincom Smalltalk customer recently asked a very pertinent question regarding the migration from Visual Wave in Cincom VisualWorks 7.* to VisualWorks 8.1.1, and members of our Cincom Smalltalk engineering team were more than happy to provide a detailed response. Click here for this Q&A.
The GemStone/S team is pleased to announce several important releases for its GemStone/S 64 Bit, GemBuilder for Smalltalk and GemBuilder for Java product lines. Click here to learn about Gemstone’s new product releases.
The Senders of Deprecated Browser is a new contributed package for Cincom ObjectStudio 8.6 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.0 or above. It was created to help developers track down, evaluate and hopefully eliminate any places in their code that include call methods that have been marked as deprecated. Click here to learn more.
We’re happy to introduce a new contributed package that’s designed to help customers quickly review any methods in their images that have been overridden by extensions in other packages. Click here to read about BrowseOverrides.
A new version of Roassal (Roassal2) has been released, and in conjunction with this, the book about Roassal will soon be released as well. Click here to find out more about Roassal2 and how you can review the Roassal book, which is titled “Agile Visualization.”
As computer programmers, software developers and human beings working with numbers, we often take our base 10 decimal system for granted. But what if, as a society, we were starting over? Click here for a very interesting article from Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas.
The ACM SIGPLAN conference on Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity (SPLASH 2016) will be held at the Mövenpick Hotel, Amsterdam City Centre in Amsterdam, The Netherlands on October 30 through November 4, 2016, and conference organizers are requesting high-quality submissions. Click here for more information.
OopluCon 2016 will take place on April 10 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (Pacific Time) at The Box SF, in San Francisco, CA. This conference celebrates multiple object-oriented languages, which makes it a particularly special event. Click here for information on featured speakers and more.
We’re happy to announce that SAC 2016 will be held in Pisa, Italy on April 4-8, 2016. Click here for submission instructions, important dates and additional pertinent information.
The UK Smalltalk User Group will be meeting on February 29, March 29 and April 25 in London, England. Click here for more information.
SAC 2016 will take place in Pisa, Italy on April 4-8, 2016. Click here for more conference information including how to answer conference organizers’ call for papers.
San Francisco, California will be playing host to OopluCon 2016, which will be taking place on April 10. For additional information on this free conference, click here.
SPLASH 2016 will be held at the Mövenpick Hotel, Amsterdam City Centre in Amsterdam, The Netherlands on October 30 through November 4, 2016. Click here for more information, including details on submitting contributions to this important conference.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Cincom recently announced two major management personnel changes; one in the area of international markets and one in the areas of multi-channel configure-price-quoting, advanced manufacturing capabilities for ERP and document communications management. Click here for more information.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
We’re happy to announce a new feature of the Cincom Smalltalk website: the Contributed Components Directory. Here you can find all of the contributed components that are available with our current product offerings. Click here for more information on other components.
To the Cincom Smalltalk Team, there’s nothing more important than serving the needs of its users. Complete customer satisfaction is something that we continuously strive for. As part of that effort, we’re happy to introduce a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s dedicated solely to supplying pertinent, important data and helpful links to users. Click here to check it out.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
— Cincom Smalltalk (@cincomsmalltalk) February 16, 2016
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.