Smalltalk Digest: October Edition
- New Product Releases — The Personal Use License Versions of Cincom® ObjectStudio® 8.7 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 8.1 Are Here!
- Product Upgrade — Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 Now Available to Cincom Smalltalk Customers and Partners!
Latest News and Updates
- Leadership Changes — World.st Has New Administrator
- New Product Release — Announcing the GemStone/S 64 Bit 3.2.10 Release
- New Project Portfolio Management Solution — Introducing StakePoint
- Plans Are Underway — Vancouver Island CampSmalltalk Autumn Edition
- Live Code Environments — Experience the Agile Thoroughbreds at XP Days Germany
- Call for Papers — OOPS Track at SAC 2016 – Dates and Instructions
- Seeking Support — Organizers of Smalltalks 2015 Seek to Be the Foundation for Community Growth
- Embracing All Aspects of Software Construction and Delivery — Software for Humanity (SPLASH 2015) Conference
- Conference Videos— Videos from ESUG 2015 Now Available!
- Support Modifications — ODBC 3.0 Support in Cincom VisualWorks
- New Font — A New Font for Smalltalk Coding, or “Will Bookerly Be Loverly?”
- Meeting the Demand Challenge — Cincom Smalltalk’s Answer to the Web App Development Demand
- A Shared Cornerstone — The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation
- New and Improved Capabilities — Cincom Smalltalk Foundation Series: Text 2
- Helpful Technical Information — Map/Reduce, Hadoop and Cincom Smalltalk
- Simple, Convenient Text Creation — A Transcript Alternative
- Performance Considerations — Concurrency and Leveraging Multi-Core PCs: The Solution? MatriX
- Task Simplification — Are You Looking to Boost Application Performance?
- Common Tools Tutorials — “Common Tools” Tutorial Videos Available
- Product Information Tutorials — Product Information Tutorials Available
- Product Update — Major Update of Roassal
- Smalltalk the Winner! — Smalltalk Comes Out on Top in Recent Language Productivity Paper
- Smalltalk Enables Expansion — Cincom Smalltalk Enables Adventure World German Language Expansion
- October 25-30, 2015 — Software for Humanity (SPLASH 2015) Conference (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA)
- November 6-8, 2015 — CampSmalltalk Autumn Edition (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)
- November 11-13, 2015 — Smalltalks 2015 (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- November 26-28, 2015 — XP Days Germany (Karlsruhe, Germany)
- April 4-8, 2016 — SAC 2016 (Pisa, Italy)
- Update on Smalltalk Events
Cincom Corporate Information
Smalltalk News Repositories
- News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
- Partnering for Success — Cincom Supporting Customer and Partner Success
- Event Promotion — Do You Have an Event That You Would Like to Have Promoted?
- New Website Feature — Contributed Components
- Focusing on the User — Introducing a Revamped User Portal
- Getting the Word Out — Cincom Smalltalk and Social Media Channels
- Availability of Information — New Product Information Readily Available on the Cincom Smalltalk Website
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
Smalltalk Job Opportunities
The Personal Use License Versions of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 Are Here!
We’re happy to report that Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 are here and available. These major releases are stability and performance releases and contain primarily fixes, improvements and refinements to improve the significant new features introduced in the last major releases. To learn more about these releases, or for information on how to try them for yourself, click here.
Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1 Now Available to Cincom Smalltalk Customers and Partners!
It is our pleasure to bring you the current version of Cincom Smalltalk. This release includes the major releases of Cincom ObjectStudio 8.7.1 and Cincom VisualWorks 8.1.1. This set of releases address stability and performance, and contains primarily fixes, improvements and refinements to improve the significant new features introduced in the last major releases. You can request media or an FTP transfer of the product. For other options, please speak with your account manager. Current customers and partners can request the maintenance release by clicking here.
We’re happy to report that World.st, a forum for providing up-to-date information about Smalltalk for the Smalltalk community and anyone who may be interested in Smalltalk, has a new administrator. Click here for more information.
The GemStone/S team is pleased to announce the release of GemStone/S 64 Bit 3.2.10—a maintenance release that includes fixes for a number of bugs. To download this new release or for additional information, click here.
There’s a new project portfolio management solution that allows users to schedule tasks, meet deadlines and stick to budgets. Click here to become more familiar with StakePoint.
We’re happy to report that on November 6-8, beautiful Vancouver Island will be the location for another CampSmalltalk! Click here for more information.
XP Days Germany is coming to Karlsruhe, Germany on November 26-28, 2015, and Cincom Smalltalk’s Helge Nowak will be there to demonstrate how extremely interactive tools impact our mindset and imagination, leading to a new way of working. He’ll also show how live code environments can be used to further integrate the software lifecycle, delivering better solutions at better quality. Click here for more information, as well as an abstract of Helge’s demonstration.
We’re happy to announce that SAC 2016 will be held in Pisa, Italy on April 4-8, 2016. Click here for submission instructions, important dates and additional pertinent information.
Smalltalks 2015 will be held at the Universidad de Buenos Aires in Buenos Aires, Argentina on November 11-13, 2015. Click here for more information, including its organizing foundation’s goal of developing new ways to make the community grow.
Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity (SPLASH 2015) will take place on October 25-30, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Click here for more information about the premier conference at the intersection of programming, languages and software engineering.
ESUG 2015, which was held in Brescia, Italy on July 13-17, 2015, has come and gone, but you can still see the insightful and informative presentations via video. Click here to see the presentations that are available.
For historical reasons, most APIs that are used in VisualWorks’ ODBCEXDI belong to ODBC 1.0 and ODBC 2.0. In VisualWorks 8.1.1, we’ve included a new package called ODBC3EXDI under preview, which uses ODBCEXDI as a prerequisite and makes use of ODBC 3.0 APIs. Click here for additional information.
Amazon recently introduced a new font called “Bookerly,” which according to Amazon is optimized for readability. Click here to read more about it.
With web development moving so quickly, businesses are forced to deal with challenges never before seen. Cincom Smalltalk addresses these challenges by simplifying the development process for its users, maintaining the flexibility and scalability that these new technologies require and providing new tools to enhance a developer’s ability to develop rich-behavior web applications. Click here to read more about how Cincom is addressing these challenges.
The Cincom Smalltalk Foundation is the shared virtual machine and object libraries shared by the Cincom Smalltalk products. For more information, please watch Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager Arden Thomas’ latest presentation from the 2014 Smalltalk Industry Conference here.
The underlying text handling of the entire Cincom Smalltalk Foundation has been re-written in both Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks from the ground up. It has been integrated in order to handle modern and future needs. Click here for more information.
In this technical article, Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, tells us how Map/Reduce and Hadoop work with Smalltalk, including simple examples. Click here for Arden’s article.
Have you ever wished for a simple, convenient solution when it comes to finding a place where you can write and review text—other than the Transcript? A solution that’s much simpler than creating an application interface to write to? Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager, Arden Thomas, has written an article that presents a practical alternative to the Transcript. Click here for Arden’s explanation.
For a while now, companies have been using concurrency in their development. But going all-out into concurrency is difficult. We have a solution to that problem: MatriX. Click here to read about some of the problems involved in concurrency, click here to read about the solution to the currency dilemma: MatriX, click here to access the video, “Getting More from Your Multi-Core with MatriX,” and click here for an answer to “How Can We Get the Most Out of Our Modern CPUs?”
Interested in learning an alternative for getting the most out of your PC? Click here to try it, and see how you can use MatriX to leverage the most from your multi-core PCs.
The Cincom Smalltalk team strives to deliver tools to simplify daily tasks for application developers. The complexity of concurrency can sometimes cause difficulties. However, we’re happy to tell you about a powerful solution to your concurrency issues. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has made a series of several new tutorials available. The first set of tutorials focuses on “Common Tools” and how many of these tools, which are used for development in Cincom ObjectStudio and Cincom VisualWorks, are now shared.
- For information on the System Browser Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Core Browser Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Inspector Tool tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Debugger Usage tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Version Control tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Process Monitor tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Code Recovery tutorial, click here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team has launched a series of several new tutorials for introducing our products.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Launcher tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part One tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom VisualWorks Product Introduction tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio GUI Designer, Part Two tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Cincom ObjectStudio Modeling Tool Overview tutorial, click here.
- For information on the Setting Up Your Environment tutorial, click here.
Alexandre Bergel and the Object Profile Team are happy to announce an update of Roassal on Cincom VisualWorks. Roassal is a visualization engine that’s made to visualize pretty much anything. To learn more about the update, click here.
Recently a blog article referenced a paper that discusses the fact that although there are some very productive specialized items available, Smalltalk comes out on top for general-purpose programming languages. Click here to read more about it.
Recently a significant event has taken place at the iconic Köthen Castle in Köthen, Germany. Adventure World German Language, a museum-quality exhibit that showcases the extensive history of the German language, has undergone a significant expansion, and all of the programming was done using Cincom Smalltalk. Click here to find out more about the expansion.
SPLASH 2015, the ACM SIGPLAN conference on Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity, will take place on October 25-30, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. For more information, click here.
CampSmalltalk will take place on November 6-8 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Click here for details.
Smalltalks 2015 will be held at the Universidad de Buenos Aires in Buenos Aires, Argentina on November 11-13, 2015. Smalltalkers from around the globe will be there, and there will be a wide variety of excellent guests and speakers. Click here for more information.
Karlsruhe, Germany will be the location for XP Days Germany, which will be held on November 26-28, 2015. Click here for information on the demonstration that Cincom Smalltalk’s Helge Nowak will be giving.
SAC 2016 will take place in Pisa, Italy on April 4-8, 2016. Click here for more conference information including how to answer conference organizers’ call for papers.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
Cincom recently announced two major management personnel changes; one in the area of international markets and one in the areas of multi-channel configure-price-quoting, advanced manufacturing capabilities for ERP and document communications management. Click here for more information.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
The Cincom Smalltalk Team is extending an offer to its current users to let us assist in helping to promote their applications or services. For more information, or if you are interested in participating in this offer, click here.
Do you have a Camp Smalltalk, Smalltalk conference or other event that you would like promoted? We can help. Click here to find out how.
We’re happy to announce a new feature of the Cincom Smalltalk website: the Contributed Components Directory. Here you can find all of the contributed components that are available with our current product offerings. Click here for more information on other components.
To the Cincom Smalltalk Team, there’s nothing more important than serving the needs of its users. Complete customer satisfaction is something that we continuously strive for. As part of that effort, we’re happy to introduce a portal on the Cincom Smalltalk website that’s dedicated solely to supplying pertinent, important data and helpful links to users. Click here to check it out.
We’re getting the word out … Cincom Smalltalk is an extraordinary and powerful product suite with amazing capabilities and a solid future! One of the tools that has been helpful in publicizing this fact is the use of Social Media. Click here for more information.
The Cincom Smalltalk product suite is constantly being updated and improved upon. To help keep you up-to-date, we have several locations on the Cincom Smalltalk website where anyone can find out the latest product improvements, changes and release information. Click here to find out the locations.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
Are you interested in a Smalltalk-related job? Cincom Smalltalk Support Engineer James Savidge keeps the Smalltalk community up-to-date regarding Smalltalk opportunities throughout the community. The Smalltalk Jobs Blog posts Smalltalk-related career opportunities from around the globe. Click here to see what’s available.
The Cincom Smalltalk team is currently looking for a well-qualified Cincom VisualWorks software engineer to enhance the VM Team in our Smalltalk Development Team. If interested, please click here for a job description or to apply.