Smalltalk Digest: January Edition
Check This Out!
- Improving the Customer Experience — You Spoke, We Listened—Cincom Smalltalk Maintenance Releases
- Location Determined — ESUG 2012 Conference Location Announced
- Partner Storefront — Cincom Marketplace™ for Partners Launched
- Support Improvements — Improved Resolution Content Is on the Way
- Interesting Demo — University of South Australia Participates in Interoperability Keynote
- Video Library Complete — All Existing ESUG 2011 Videos Now Available
- Cincom® ObjectStudio® Tool — ObjectStudio Glossary Available
- Academia — The Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program
- New Website Sections — New Presentations and Videos Sections Now Available
- Serving the Smalltalk Community — Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs
Smalltalk News Repositories
- Smalltalk News from the Smalltalk Industry Council
- Smalltalk News from the Cincom Smalltalk Team
- News Regarding STIC
Helpful Technical Information
- February 5, 2012 — Devroom at FOSDEM 2012
- March 6, 2012 — NYC Smalltalk Developer’s Group Presentation
- March 18, 2012 — Registration for the 2012 Smalltalk Industry Conference (Biloxi, Mississippi)
- March 19-21, 2012 — The 2012 Smalltalk Industry Conference (Biloxi, Mississippi)
- March 19-21, 2012 — Smalltalk Directions Symposium (Biloxi, Mississippi)
- March 22-23, 2012 — Camp Smalltalk (Biloxi, Mississippi)
- August 27-31, 2012 — ESUG 2012 Conference
- Update on Smalltalk Events
STIC’12 Information — March 19-20, 2012
- STIC’12 Abstracts and Speaker Bios
- STIC’12 — Cincom Presentation Abstracts
- Latest News and Updates
- Venue Information
- STIC’12 to Enlighten Attendees on “Google Dart”
- Fees Determined for STIC’12
- Would you like to be an STIC’12 sponsor?
- Sci-Fi Convention Promoters Offer Discount to STIC’12 Attendees
- About Biloxi, Mississippi
- STIC’12 on Facebook
- Smalltalk Directions Call for Participation
- Smalltalk Directions 2012 Submission Deadline Extended
- Call for STIC’12 Student Volunteers
Maintenance releases for Cincom ObjectStudio 8.3.1 and Cincom® VisualWorks® 7.8.1 are now complete. Customers requested a “true” maintenance release, and we listened to their requests. Click here to find out more about the latest Cincom Smalltalk maintenance releases.
The ESUG board is happy to announce that the 2012 ESUG Conference will be held at Gent, Belgium on August 27-31 with Camp Smalltalk preceding it on August 25-26. Click here for additional information.
Cincom is proud to offer Cincom Marketplace, which is a storefront where partners can go to access Cincom software products—such as Cincom® WebVelocity™—for a low pay-as-you-go price and offer them to their customers and other partners. To learn more about Cincom Marketplace, click here.
A new year’s resolution for Smalltalk Support is to begin delivering resolutions that contain multiple solutions to known issues, resulting in the elimination of conflicts between solutions that you have identified as important for your Smalltalk application. Click here for more information.
The University of South Australia was recently involved in a keynote interoperability demonstration and panel discussion at the Digital Plant Expo in Houston, Texas. The demo overview featured the Transform Engine including the UniSA part, which is powered by Cincom VisualWorks and the DoME modelling tool. For more information, click here.
All of the existing 2011 videos are now available on YouTube for your viewing pleasure. Click here for information on viewing and downloading them.
We’re pleased to let you know that there is now a Cincom ObjectStudio Glossary available that includes an alphabetical listing of pertinent Cincom ObjectStudio terms and their definitions—a very handy reference tool. To access the glossary, click here.
With a goal of increasing the quality of the available system design and engineering training, providing higher-quality engineers and developers to the industry and users, and Expanding the Smalltalk community, we suggest that you look into the Cincom Smalltalk Academic Program. Click here to read all about it.
Are you interested in viewing a presentation or video on a particular subject? We’re happy to report that thanks to the new Presentations section and Video section of the Cincom Smalltalk product website, it’s just gotten a whole lot easier to find what you’re looking for.
There are many blogs run by the Cincom Smalltalk Group now. Check them out by clicking here.
There’s a lot going on in the world of Smalltalk these days, and we’re happy to present it to you. Click here to view the latest Smalltalk news courtesy of the Smalltalk Industry Council.
Click here to get Smalltalk news from the Cincom Smalltalk team.
Click here to view the latest news regarding STIC.
World-renowned software developer, author, programmer and founder/director of Three Rivers Institute (TRI), Kent Beck, has written a Facebook article titled “Rolling and Flipping: Vose’ Alias Algorithm in Smalltalk.” Click here for more information.
The first time Mark Grinnell got a question about running ObjectStudio headless, his first thought was, “we can’t do that.” However, after further investigation, he found out that his initial thoughts were presumptuous. Click here for Mark’s explanation.
FOSDEM 2012 will be meeting in Brussels, Belgium on February 4-5, and a Devroom for Pharo, Squeak, GST, Etoilé, Seaside and Moose Smalltalk projects will take place on Sunday, February 5. Click here for more information.
March 19-21, 2012 — The 2012 Smalltalk Industry Conference (Biloxi, Mississippi)
March 19-21, 2012 — Smalltalk Directions Symposium (Biloxi, Mississippi)
March 22-23, 2012 — Camp Smalltalk (Biloxi, Mississippi)
ESUG 2012 will be held at Gent, Belgium on August 27-31 with Camp Smalltalk preceding it on August 25-26. Click here for additional information.
Click here for an update on Smalltalk-related events you may want to attend.
STIC’12 Conference abstracts and bios for the conference speakers have been released, and we’re happy to pass that on to you. Click here.
Several Cincomers will be making presentations at STIC’12. Click here for the part I of Cincomer presentation abstracts, and be looking for part II in next month’s Digest.
Click here for the latest news and updates about STIC’12, which will be held at the Beau Rivage Resort and Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi on March 19-21.
Click here for the RSS feed.
Click here for STIC’12 venue information.
STIC’12 will be featuring Google Dart, which is Google’s new programming language for “structured web programming.” Click here for more information.
The fees associated with STIC’12 have been determined. Click here to find out what they are.
Have you ever thought of being a sponsor of one of the most important Smalltalk events of the year? Click here to read about the sponsorship levels and what each has to offer.
Attendees of STIC’12 have even more to be excited about. Just prior to the conference on March 16-18, they will have an opportunity to attend CoastCon Inc.’s Sci-Fi Convention at a group discount of $30 for a weekend membership, which is $15 off of the regular at-the-door rate of $45 for weekend membership. Click here for more information.
Click here for information regarding Biloxi Mississippi, which is where STIC’12 will take place.
Click here to visit the STIC’12 Facebook page.
Smalltalk Directions, which will be co-located and run in parallel with STIC’12 on March 19-21, will be presenting the Smalltalk Directions Symposium. The symposium will offer a parallel track of presentations of refereed academic work that will be open to all conference attendees. Click here.
The deadline for submissions to Smalltalk Directions 2012 has been extended to January 27, 2012. Click here for more information.
The Smalltalk Industry Council is currently seeking student volunteers to help keep the 2012 Smalltalk Industry Conference (STIC’12) running smoothly. In return, these volunteers will receive free accommodations, no conference fees and time to enjoy the majority of the conference. Click here to read more about the possibility of being a volunteer.