Not having a Mac, it's been problematic for me to set up a decent installation for the OS 8/9 platform. OS X is easier; once it was explained to me, I was able to set up the proper directory structure without access to a Mac. VisualWorks (the tool I use to build BottomFeeder) is able to produce a single executable file for OS 8/9 - I'd need a Mac to do that though. So, these directions should work; I found them from an intrepid Mac user on the net:
Installing BottomFeeder on Mac OS 8/9
Do the following to download and install BottomFeeder on a Mac OS X system:
- Download BottomFeeder from the BottomFeeder Home Page, choosing the Mac OS OS 8/9 version.
- Uncompress the folder onto your desktop. The zipped package does not include a straightforward installer; it has, instead, the following files:
- bottomFeeder - the executable file
- bottomFeeder.im - an image file.
- two Lib files: NetManage WinSock Lib and StdCLib
- plus some folders that will be used once the app installs.
- Drop the icons for NetManage, StdLibC and bottomfeeder on Stuffit! Expander. You will end up with the NetManage and StdLibC icons looking like puzzle pieces and bottomfeeder will expand to an icon called "visual". Visual will have its creator already set to HPS7. To get the bottomfeeder.im icon to highlight the "visual" icon upon drag, run ResEdit 2.1.3 and change the creator for bottomfeeder.im to HPS7.
After that, BottomFeeder should run. Just drop bottomfeeder.im on bottomfeeder.